1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by R-MAN, Nov 19, 2004.

1. R-MAN

R-MAN Junior Member
    from midwest

i just bought a used old 1981 chevy truck with a rebuilt 350 , i got from a guy up in michigan and was drving back home to indianapolis. Everything was going good until i was within 30 mils from home when the truck just died. my son was in the other truck and stop for me, we tryed to jump start the truck but nothing , we went home and got another battery and try that when i put the ground wire on the battery it started to spark real bad and we saw two wire on the fire wall starting to smoke big time can anyone help ? thanks michael

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds like some wires short circuited somewhere in truck. For starters you must track that down first.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

It is a short some where... trace the wires that were smoking.... they should lead you to the problem...

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes sometimes with old trucks the wires chafe against chassis or body and short out.