1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Just Cuts, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Just Cuts

Just Cuts Junior Member

I have a lawn maintenance & landscaping co. with about 55 cust. About half of my accounts have asked about snow removal.I would like to get into snow removal but have some questions. I was thinking of two snow blowers to start with.Should I charge per hour or ask for a sum up front? Anyone else just use blowers?Need opinions to help me decide if I should do this. Thanks
  2. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

I think you'd have to consider how much time you'd spend behind a snowblower doing driveways. A good plow/truck and you're average suburb driveway is done in 5 minutes....You may spend 20 - 30 minutes with a blower. If you've got 10-20 driveways, that's 4-8 hrs of work with a blower (that is....work outside pushing a blower in the cold :cry: )....likely for the same charge per driveway as with a plow. Oh, then you have to load and unload to each site. You just have to decide what's your time and your health worth to you.... :waving:

I definitely won't miss blowing my driveway this year...

Good Luck
  3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Welcome to the site. And I agree with Duplantisjj.

Also, you should consider the cost of the equipment. If you buy two decent blowers, you'll have as much invested as you would if you buy a good used plow for your F250 4x4. I think the investment would also be returned much sooner than with blowers. You'd possibly pick up more work with a plow than you would with a blower.

At any rate, back to your question. I only use a blower when absolutely necessary. I also do not charge by the hour, nor up front payment - I charge by the push, bill once a month. It just works for me. You can find all of the reasons/opinions for each option by searching this site.

Don't forget to get the proper insurance if you go with a plow.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you can either give them a price for the season or per push but not per hour for residential. If you are thinking about 2 snowblowers then that means 2 trucks and 2 men. Even if you own the extra truck you still have to pay someone to use the blower. A good plow is always the best, you may get some extra work subbing after your homes are done.