1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help with this bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by R&R Yard Design, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hey guys. i need to get some help on how long and how much you guys would charge for this lot. I will have a loader with a 10 foot box in it, along with 2 trucks I just got the call tonight about it and they would like to have a price by tomm morn.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

OK how many sq ft is it? Was size of loader on this pusher? Or at least how many parking stalls? Have you done any thing that big in the past? Is it per push or seasonal? Is salt included or is it per time?
  3. Hey JD, it 800k for the whole lot, front and back and both sides. we may not have to plow all of the lot on the top of the pic as that will be a dump area. the loader i was thinking a vovlo l30 or 35. and we have done this size but not as the con. just as a sub. any advice
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If there's 18 acres of pavement you better hope to heck that loader doesn't break down. You might be able to do it if you can push snow everywhere but if you have only a few desinated places you won't be able to do it. For salt you'll need between 4.5 and 9 tons. I know what I'd bid but that doesn't help you much because I'd have 2 14ft pushers in there. Isn't it a little late for them to be tendering and do you have salt for the winter and are you sure the loader is available. BTW that's a pretty small loader, I'd look at something a little bigger with at least a 12 or 14 ft pusher. JMO
  5. Yea it's late as all hell. i can get a bigger loader thats no prob. i have to buy a new box no matter what. So with the salt i was right around 5 tons, and i will have to get a lot more and it will be billed out at a prem to them. Now with knowing that i will have one loader and i can go with a 12 or 14 footer along with the 2 trucks. With that what would you charge per push and they also want to know per season, months of nov- apr thanks jd
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's your job, you have to price it. I don't actually tell my pricing to anybody.
  7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I use the same equipment as you. Trucks and volvo L20s. This lot needs more. 3 trucks and a bigger loader with a bigger box. 14' would do it.

at least $1000 per push and double that for salt.

If you are new to bidding stuff this big a little advice.

when big accounts like this one look for late season bids, they already have a contractor in mind, they are looking for a price comparison so they know if they are getting a fair enough deal. Happens to me all the time. I stopped bidding big ones late in the pre-season for this reason

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I'm including the small buildings top of page, not sure if its part of mall. You will need minimum 2 large loaders one with 14' pusher unknown destination of stacking, 2-3 9 or 10' plow trucks,1-36"SS if walks need cleared and potentially 10-11 tons salt to be safe.
  9. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I think you'd be ok with two trucks and a 10' pusher, but you better have a backup. It'd take 8-9 hours with that combo. You might want a bobcat for the loading docks.

You ask for seasonal, but don't mention a trigger or if you'd be salting if you don't hit the trigger. Chicago--20 pushes per season on a 2" trigger, if you're in lake effect area you better boost your estimate for number of pushes and total inches.

I'd be looking at $2500 per push, $3500 per salt. $141k seasonal without sidewalks or lake effect.
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Dang that's a huge job!! I don't know if I would take that on. Do you know any subs that have loaders? Are you planning on having subs there with more trucks? Or are you going to handle it all yourself?? Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert at handling big jobs, but that is a lot of work. Make sure you have plans if one of your pieces of equipment breaks down. Because if you can normally do that lot with 2 trucks and 1 loader, what happens if 1 truck breaks down. Can you do that lot with 1 truck and 1 loader? Or, worse, what happens if your loader breaks down? Can that job be done with 2 trucks? Can your rental agent bring you another loader in the middle of the night? These are all important questions to think about. I wish you the best of luck on this bid! Let us know how it turns out. payup:salute::waving:
  11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Id probably want to have a 14-16' pusher and one truck.
  12. Ok guys, we didnt get the lot. But they did tell me that the guy that got is going to do it for under 90k
  13. Superior L & L

from MI

does it include walks, and how many salt/plow events do you average? I have to see if i could do it for that
  14. Yes it does include all side walks on every building, its a 1 inch trigger. Must be plowed if over that, and it must be salted on every event that may happen, we get arount 20 pushes and about 30 times that we have to salt.
  15. Superior L & L

from MI

If its 30 salts id take it for about $90,000.00 But if it 30 salts plus 20 salts from when you plow then no way
  16. scoopdog

scoopdog Junior Member
    from ohio

you would have made money on that lot if you bought your salt at $75 per ton or so and you used 3 backhoes with 12' boxes on them. That way when one breaks you are still in good shape. If you had no other lots close this is the most cost effective way to do this lot. You can get backhoe subs for $90 per hour and you can buy 3 12' boxes from me at $12000. If you loose the account next year you can sell your boxes for $9000 easy and only have a $3000 risk in the deal. The biggest risk is the salt. You guys that just hav e afew big parking lots may not want to have 10's of thousands of dollars of salt sitting around and i don't blame you one bit, but if you don't have the salt in your bins now you may be SOL later.
  17. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Snowandgo---- I'd be looking at $2500 per push, $3500 per salt

I like to be making what Snowandgo's making on salt $388 per ton that's at JD Dave high side of what he said it would have taking to spread that hole lot, more if it was less, Dam man if your gettin that your a good sales man!!!