1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help with plow slamming!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SnowMP, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SnowMP

SnowMP Junior Member

I've noticed that when I angle my plow to the left it slams pretty bad when I let go of the toggle. It doesn't do it when I angle it to the right. Has anyone had this problem before? And if so what should I do? :help:

I noticed to that the plow cylinder on the left side has some play in it. I can manually push the plow in and out a few inches on that side when the plow is raised. I can't on the right side. Maybe I just need to add more ATF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:redbounce
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

loose goose

atf is not a cur-all ,sounds like you need to check all cylinder pin hole's and hardware ,bolts they might be loose or missing if were talking a couple inches .
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

LOL I put up a thread a few days ago about the same problem. I was told to try the Fish stik instead of the joystick. I don't really care for holding something in my right hand, like to keep it free for :drinkup: but ya know if it keeps slammin, I just may get the fish stik.

4. SnowMP

SnowMP Junior Member

I'm pretty sure it's not the hardware. When I move the plow manually as it's in the up position I can actually see the hydrolic ram move in and out. So I know it's not pins and such. But I understand what your saying. My main thing is that the right side won't move in and out at all unless you use the controls. Seems to me that the cylinder is not filled with atf all the way but I don't know how that's possible. The toggle control seems to work the same in all dirrections. No delay or anything.

Thanks for your input guys.
    Anyone else want to take a stab?:bluebounc
  5. LON

LON Senior Member

One word - AIR! I see it must be a MM2 and these use low friction seals on the cylinders. Try hanging your plow out over an edge and lower the plow so that the rod end of the angle cylinders are lower than the port end. Angle the plow left and right 5 or 6 times, this should allow trapped air to escape the cylinders.
    As for slamming, it is normal if you are using a joystick. It is a pressure spike from the valve closing while the motor is still winding down.
  6. SnowMP

SnowMP Junior Member

Hey Lon, thanks for the tip.:) Not only does it make perfect sense, It's not something I've already tried. I'll let you know if it works. As for the slamming, I thought it might have been related to the fact that I could move the left cylinder in and out manually a few inches. Because It doesn't slam going to the right. Well I'll find out soon enough.

I'll post results.
    Thanks again:waving:
  7. SnowMP

SnowMP Junior Member

Hey Stevej, thanks for the input. If you deside to go with the fish stik let me know if it works. I agree with hands free thing. Plus I welded up a custom mount for my toggle and I don't think I'm willing to give that up. But if the fish stik works for you I guess it could be easily modified to hold the fish stik also.