1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Some Help With My ST-90 Blade Doing A Total Rebuild

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tyler04jones, Oct 31, 2009.

1. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

Hi Guys

I'm new here and i see this is a good place for help and advice so here i go

I have a e-47 pump and a st-90 7' 6" blade i used to push snow alot about 3 years ago until my motor blew in my plow truck since then i replaced the motor in the truck and this year i am going to try it again anyways i went to get my plow from my dads house where it sat outside and my pretty blade went to hell all rusted and had about 5 holes in the front of the blade where rust ate through not a pretty site to see

so i got it home cut out all the bad spots replace the spots with new metal and them grinded the entire blade down to bare metal( FYI use paint stripper grinding the entire blade about killed me and i still got black burgers 2 weeks later LOL) so the front is good to go now to the back

i still have not got the sector pins out i have heated them and gotten nowhere so i think i am just gonna cut them and try to knock them out of the moldboard and the sector so at least that way i can prep the other side for paint (let me know if thats a good idea??)

for my other questions i bought 2 qts of meyers sno-flow paint and on the cans it says thin it down with mineral spirts, ok i get that but it does not tell me how many parts paint how many parts mineral sprits??? if any body knows how to mix it please share

my 3rd questions is meyers says to use there primer but i cant seem to find it so i was wondering do i just buy a gallon of primer that you use on cars and spary it on or do i need to buy some special primer ( i have seen alot of people on here well in the pics they have the rustolem rust primer spary paint and they buy rustolem paint and roll it on there blades with a roller?????? i bought the sno-flow paint so i could use my hvlp paint gun to spray it on and thought it would cover better am i wrong ?)

Thanks In Advance
    Ill add pics of my rebuild i have now and ill take new ones today Thanks Tyler

2. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

some pics

here are some pics ill add more can only upload 5 at a time

rsz_101_0692.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

rest of the pics i have now

here are the rest of what i have on my comp ill get more today

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

4. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Any type of good primer will work. I like ACE brand paints, and I roll them on. I have a spray gun, but don't like the mess afterwords. The Rustoleum or ACE primers can be sprayed on as well, and one it sets up, you should be able to spray right over them. I did not have any holes in mine, but I just painted all with a roller using ACE Safety Red. If you go to the Western section, look for painting your plow, page 3 on the bottom is mine...I have before and after pics.

5. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

primmer

i just painted mine i sand blasted and bought primmer from sherwinwillams tell them you want and industrial primmer to prime your plow blade with i rolled it on it is a oil base product i did no thin it down i did not get fancy on yhe paint i bought there industrial yellow it was a lot cheapper but if you buy the primmer from sherwin its helps to no some one that has account so can get the paint cheaper or primmer...

6. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

7. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

forgot to tell you i stopped by sherman williams this morning and asked the guy told me he had nothing that would hold up against that?

8. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

primmer

Kem Kromik its a industrial & Marine coating its a good product mabe the guy did not no what hes talking about i put it on last season and its holding up great i do alot of commerical painting and use this product on steel all the time

9. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

That valspar primer looks good. Let us know how it came out. You did a nice patch job on the plow...take some pictures when its done. Most industrial paints are oil based, and I think the Meyers sno-flow is oil based.

10. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

hey

i totally forgot today was halloween i didnt even get to my shop today ill get out there tomm and get some pics to show where im at ill probly get the primer friday and get it painted this weekend i hope still waiting on a green line sol to show up so i can panit the pump too Thanks for all the help guys keep replys comming

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  12. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

hey did you strip all the paint off or did you just scuff the old and paint over it also what brand of paint is it looks like rustoleum not if you could let me know that would be great Thanks

13. fernalddude

Those are old pics they have been repainted twice since i just grind or sand off the old paint. The wife even ground off the paint on her plow in the garage at home boy what a pain with all the dust in the home garage but she tried so hard and it turned out great (with some help). I only use rustoleum alert yellow and gloss black last a year or two but i repaind them all the time. Just painted 2 trucks and digging out the plows and salters to get ready bye next friday.Friday is the target date for all trucks ready to roll.

14. fernalddude

Went out to the garage and took pic of her plow and a old one of some trucks.

100_2599 (Medium).JPG

100_2376 (Small).JPG

15. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

that looks great and that was spray paint ? with no primer ? if so wow i might send back my 30.00 a qt meyers sno-flow paint and just use that well maybe next time 25% restock fee might use there primer tho where can you buy this stuff at i know walmart has rustoleum paint havent ever look to see what all is there tho Thanks

16. fernalddude

sometimes i use primmer if the grinding is to deep just to fill in the gaps. And I just use auto primmer if so.

17. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

painting 101

i been using rustoleum red ox. primer on brush with fast synthetic thinner and rustolem sunrise yellow or rustolem safety yellow with a overdose of VALSPAR hardener from tractr suply and mixed with fast synthitic(automotive) thinner..after drying.the yellow paint is xtremely hard.and durable .bruish painted all this on..2 plus coates brushing on goes on thicker n no over spary.. HARDENER or just skin the mold board with s.s. steel...:waving:

18. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Plows look GREAT. I stopped buying Meyers and Western paints due to the price. A gallon of ACE Hardware Safety Red or Safety Yellow is $26, and unless I have some real bad pitting, I don't use primer. I do use a liquid de-ruster called Right Stuff that I bought at Advance Auto for $6. It neuralizes the rust and keeps it from spreading. I put on two coats with a sponge, let it dry for 2 hrs, and then start rolling on the paint with a 9in small napped roller. I get the plastic pan liners for under a buck, and also throw out the roller after each coat; had bad experience one time where I put the roller in a plastick zip-lock bag...when I went to put on the second coat, the nap was sticking to the blade. I hade to quickly wipe it off and get another roller. So for CHEAP insurance I always have plenty of rollers on hand.

19. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

thanks for the great help guys

20. tyler04jones

tyler04jones Member

ok i spent the better half of today trying to get out the sector pin from the sector i went ahead and just cut the pins so i could seperate the sector from the moldboard got the pims out of the moldboard with a little heat but i cannot get the pins out of the sector i had the pin on the right hand side glowing red and i got it out about 1/4 of an inch i smacked it back in and smacked it right back out ti the 1/4 inch back out but it will not go any further i used and 28oz hammer to a 3lb sledge to a 12lb sledge and nothing and i hope my hand goes down b4 next weekend that 3lb sledge got me good half my hand is huge and purple ohh i took pics with a buddys cam he should be sending them tomm ill add them

let me know what i can do to get these pins out i need to have this plow ready by next mon Thanks