1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help wiring my plow.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kingofkossuth, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Kingofkossuth

Kingofkossuth Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello, I have a dodge ram 3/4 ton pickup and just bought a 8.5' western unimount plow. I have the plow mounted to the frame and am working on wiring up the plow. I ordered a new light harness and wired this up to work. I am having a problem getting the pump to work though. Here is what I have. I have printed off western schematics and diagrams and am 90% sure that I have everything wired up correctly. I get power to my control and it seems to turn on and work okay, except the terminals on the solenoid will not connect to power the pump. You might think that the pump is bad, but when I cross the terminals with a screw driver the pump jumps like it wants to work. I checked with a test light the terminals on the solenoid. The large terminal that is hooked to the battery is always hot obviously. When I use the control and press a button the small terminal opposite the ground gets juice, but the other large terminal will not get juice. I have bought two brand new solenoids and do not believe that they are bad. If anyone has had a similar problem and can help me I would be very grateful.
  2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Do you have the right little wires connceted? The solenoid needs to be grounded to work. I've run into issues with that before.
  3. mikefras

mikefras Member

Check the smaller terminals wires. If you lift the leads from the small wires, ground one side and connect the other to the +ve side of the battery and it works, there is a problem with the control side
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Make sure that the orange/black wire is GROUNDED to the battery.