1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help/tips for my new Strobe Beacon

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by muzicmon101, Jan 21, 2011.

1. muzicmon101

muzicmon101 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hey everyone, I'm the new guy on here and probably the youngest. I'm 17 and ive been plowing commercial/residential since I was 15 but ive been behind the wheel since I was 7 so I have some experience haha but anyways, I just got a Whelen 2012 Strobe Beacon Rapidfire and I wanted some tips/advice/help on how to install it. I don't know if there is already a thread somewhere but I was reading the directions and it said not to put it into a circut breaker and the one on my truck right now is tied into a circut breaker and you get 5-10 flashes then it will stop for maybe seconds or up to a week before it will run again and would the circut breaker be causing that problem? I don't want the same to happen to this new light. Any help/advice/tips/suggestions or videos would be nice. Thanks
  2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

First off Welcome to Plowsite!:waving:

I would use a 30 amp relay, that way you can power it from the battery (fused), activate relay with ingnition, then activate on/off switch with ignition, so you will never have the chance of leaving it on when ignition is off.

Some of the other guys will more than likely chime in with more or better ideas, but this is what I would do.

Good luck
  3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Welcome aboard... that's a self contained strobe... Here's a PDF file for a perm mount light... has the fuses and all... This should help you out.

Hope this helps.. Good luck!
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Muzicmon, You will not need a relay for that strobe light and it sounds like you are going to permanently mount it. if you need the install guide I have it but basically 2 wires power and ground. You can run the positive to a min 6 amp switch then to even your fust panel as that Strobe only draws about 2 amps max. Just be sure if you use your fuse panel you use and open fuse outlet or jump off one that the extra 2 amps will affect. Louis
  5. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

Muzicmon, welcome to Plowsite as well. Since all you need is power/Ground for that light, my advice is to power it using an "fuse tap" that you can find at Autozone for a few bucks. (makes 1 circuit into 2) Crimp the positive wire from that to a switch, then the switch to the light, and ground the light and switch. (basic stuff). but the fuse taps are so easy to do and cheap. You can apply it to your cigarette lighter fuse port or ignition fuse port which will do the same thing as using a separate relay. Beats jamming wire into a fuse port or running wires through the fire wall from the battery. Just another option.

Also, do you plow with your Dodge caravan?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. muzicmon101

muzicmon101 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the help and the welcoming haha

I will be doing a perm mount with it. I have the same PDF file that Pirsch sent thanks for that.

I already have another beacon like this on the roof of the truck but it's a low profile. That one, the wires run inside the truck, to a toggle switch (We have a little box we made for both of our trucks to hold the toggle switches) and from there it runs through the fire wall to a circuit breaker. I was thinking, move the beacon that is currently on the truck to the left or the right side of the truck, then mount the new beacon on the other side (we have a home made bar to put the lights on) then I can wire them together so they will be on the same toggle switch, then remove the positive wire for the beacon on the circuit breaker (the ground is already grounded), and just hardwire to my battery by just snaking a piece of wire around the fenders which wouldn't take too much.

As for the fuse, I was thinking inline fuse but do you really need them? I will leave the circut breaker with power still to it though because I have backup lights attached to it, they just need 2 new bulbs but they run off of a toggle switch as well.

As for the Caravan, yes I have plowed with it before hahaha I used it to push some snow banks back. It worked pretty good haha
  7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

sounds like beacon may have issues
  8. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

i was kidding about the caravan. Nice tho lol