1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help... Residential billing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rngr, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rngr

rngr Junior Member
    from Markham

Hey, this is my first season going out on my own and have landed some residential contracts for this season. At the same time, I would like to pick up some more business. not everyone likes to go the contract route. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other alternatives to billing rather than just offering a seasonal contract for res. Thanks in advance for the responses! ! !
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

per push is a popular one. you get paid for the work you do and they pay for the service completed each time.. it is an even trade on both parts.
  3. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

I contract residential but do it with a per push cost. I bill monthly. The contract explains what I will and won't do too.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's pretty much your answer seasonal contract or pay per push and bill them at the end of the month.
  5. justinsp

justinsp Senior Member

I agree with with the first 3 responses. You can offer per push/time but still do a contract. The contract is security for both you and the customer. It is there to protect you from customer bailing out during some storms. I have had it in the past where a customer agrees to per time and when show up, the drive is already cleared by customer b/c it was only 3" and person wanted to save some money.

I have since changed my contract to cover me so that if I show up and customer already cleared drive, the full per push rate is charged. This will deter customer from doing it themselves. I also have myself covered that if client wants to cancel service for reasons other than relocation, they pay a cancellation fee.

Good luck with getting more biz.:nod:
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i well share what a competitor (and friend) of mine has done with his per push customers, he has charged a service retention fee on all his contracts, so he asks for $15-$25 per month, just to retain his services, then charges them per push price after, his customers are happy because they aren't stuck into a seasonal contract, and can pay per push, and my friend is happy because he still sees some money every month even if it doesn't snow, AND if it snows a lot, he isn't trapped by a fixed seasonal rate either.