1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hedgehogg, Dec 25, 2002.

1. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

I dropped the plow earlier and it will not come back up, I have a Meyer plow on a chevy chyanne that is the first I have ever own, it is used. The plow will move from left to right but will not go up and down, when I try to move the plow upward it tends to move to the left. What I am thinking is that I have frozen something up, is this true? And if so does anyone have some trick to fix this? Thank you very much I will greatly appreciate this! Merry Christmas!!!!!

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

according to my troubleshooting guide it is a problem with the b coil or the wiring going to it.

3. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

thanks for the quick reply, b-coil as in the lowest of the coils? I would bet it is frozen, is there a guide that is located on the net?

4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

5. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

thanks alot that page is very interesting, I just read through most of the wiring, will look some more, I just thought that this was a pretty common problem and there was some simple fix but i guess i am wrong, LOL! thanks again anymore suggestions are welcome!

6. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

looks as if I will be removing the pump and taking it in the basement for the night to let it thaw, then i will go get some new fluid and flush it with kerosean, I would bet that the guy that I bought it from was running ATF through it!

7. EIB

EIB Senior Member

What's wrong with ATF? I've had it in my plow since it was new. This is the four winter, no problems. I do change it every year.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Check your ground wire on the back of the pump. Bad ground there will also keep the plow from raising up. Flushing just the pump may not solve your problem tho. If there is water in the system then its also in the plow angling cylinders. Chances are removing most of the water should prevent further problems however dont be surprised if you freeze up again. If you have a place to work out of the weather then change the fluid in the angle cylinder too. Reallll simple to do, just push the plow over to the cylinder with the hose attached, remove the end coupling. Put the hose into a jar or bottle and push the pump back the other way forcing the oil out of the cylinder. Back and forth a few times (without sucking the oil back in) then refill, by sucking the new oil out of the bottle it comes in. Reattach the coupling, hook up to the pump, angle a few times and check oil level in the pump.

Good luck.

CMerrick

9. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

ATF? Well i read on that site that it can frezze up, but i would have to say that it would have to be under some serious weather conditions! at the moment I have the pump off and it is sitting in the house thawing out. I will reasemble and try in the morning, if this works I am going to flush it out and go from there I will post back with my results. I really want to thank you all for the great help, I will be posting here offen because you all seem like great people!

10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

The B Coil is the one with the red wire. It could be a bad electrical connection to the coil, a bad coil itself, or a bad B valve.

If you have time, do a search. Use terms like "meyers", E-60, E-47, etc. There are probably a hundred threads about similar problems. If you read them you'll probably be able to figure out what the problem is, and also be able to recognize the cause of the next ten problems when they happen.

A question on this topic--I've used B and C coils in place of each other without any problems. Anybody know if there's any *real* difference between them, other than the color of the wire?

11. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

well still having problems here, I have tested for magnatisim at the b coil and found none. then I went to check for power at the red wire at the end of the harness going to the B coil and have found none ( this I tested with the switch in the upright position)! I then tested the switch by using another one, when I hit the switch up the plow rotates left still! I have also changed all the fluids. starting to think that the wireharness is the culprit! Any feed back?

12. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Sometimes you'll find one problem on top of another and it can make you nuts. You might have a bad switch on top of a bad coil.

One way you could prove that your B coil and valve are both good would be to disconnect the red wire. This will isolate the B coil from a possibly faulty switch. Use a test lead to provide power directly from the battery to the B coil. Use one with clips so that you can stand clear of the blade. At this time, a good B coil should be magnetized. When you have the B coil energized in this way, and hit the switch, when the motor runs the blade should go up. If you have a bad B coil or valve the blade will angle left. (Meyers *always* want to angle left when the motor is running--it's the properly functioning B coil and valve that direct the fluid to raise the blade, and the properly functioning C coil and valve that direct the fluid to angle the blade right.)

13. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

again thanks for all the help! I have finally figured out the problem, it ended up being a faulty switch, go figure. The reason I overlooked this is because I was told that the side by side switch would work in its place, which I found that it did not! Thanks again guys!