1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cheeseheadbob, Dec 17, 2011.

1. cheeseheadbob

cheeseheadbob Junior Member

Hey guys. I bought a Buyers spreader about 1.5 months ago and had it wired by a shop I trust implicitly. It was working great after installation and every time I decided to test it. I took the spreader off the truck because I had a couple of dump runs to do and just put it back on today. When I went to test it, the controller would not stay powered in the "on" position. The on-off toggle would briefly light and then go off. It never started the motor spinning. I am not sure what is going on. The controller has power because the "Standby" message is on the screen. Is the on-off switch not working a function of the connections in the back, or do you think the switch is bad in the controller. Here is a picture of the control unit. Thanks for your help!

022.jpg

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Double check all your connections. If it was working when you removed it but won't now there's a good chance something is backward, not completely connected, ??????????. double check against your instructions. if you don't have them here's a set http://www.SaltDogg.com/Instruction Sheets/3010971_Rev_A.pdf If it's not the same spreader it's OK all the single stage wiring is pretty much the same regardless of model

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well you said that the on off switch wasnt working/lighting up. just double check you controller pwr. follow the small red wire to where it is tapped into a fuse source. try and spin your salter by hand, maybe it got jammed some how?

4. cheeseheadbob

Thanks for the help. The controller has power because the backlight is on along with the standby message. There is nothing preventing the auger and blade from spinning, so I am wondering if a switch would just go bad. I will do a continuity test tomorrow. In the mean time, I am always open to suggestions. Thanks.

5. cheeseheadbob

Got it fixed. Made sure the power to the controller was good. It was. Then I thought about the motor connections and how I may have inverted the positive knife connection. Sure enough, even though the connectors went together, the connection must have been faulty, thus the controller not allowing power to the motor. Ah, the simple victories.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

nice,,that was easy lol..those are the best kinda fixes glad it was easy :)