1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please, on my 810.

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by coolinthewoods, Jan 31, 2009.

1. coolinthewoods

coolinthewoods Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hey all, I own a older 810, I notice lately that its moving slower then usually and I pulled the cover off the front and notice the tank was low. The plow was down and the wings were out, it also was attached to the truck. If I was a betting man I would say it was 1/4 full. How full is it supposed to be? And can I buy some hydrualic fluid at Napa or do I need "special fluid"? And how much should I buy if I want to change the fluid? Thank Jesse

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If I remember correctly it doesn't hold more than a gallon. USE BLIZZARD FLUID! And of course change once a year no matter what.

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The plow should be on the ground and the wings retracted, oil level should be about 1 inch below top. Use any brand of SNOW PLOW OIL.

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Reservoir is a 2 qt reservoir, I fill 3/4-1 inch to the top.

5. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

use only blizzard fluid Check for leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it is running slow what functions are you operating?????????????

6. coolinthewoods

from Alaska

I notice its been slow on all around use. up, left ,right ,wings. After what I have read Im really low on fluid. Monday Im going to the dealer to buy a few quarts.

7. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

plow

The wings need to be in when check the fluid or it will look like the tank is low.

8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Seeing as the wing cylinders are powered in and out. They are displacing the same volume of fluid out or in. Conclusion tank level remains the same in or out.

9. coolinthewoods

from Alaska

I'll go and buy some fluid monday and see if that makes a difference and I'll let you all know. I don't think I will be hooking it back up anytime soon, seeing that it is -40 below zero.

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you owned a Blizzard you would know that your statement is wrong.

11. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Well I guess we are both have made a incorrect or misinformed statement.

I went under the assumtion that being a duel action cylinder the fluid would go back into the tank. It doesn't.

And your incorrect statement is I don't own a Blizzard. I do. I have never check the fluid on it with the wings out.

12. damian

damian Senior Member

Correct fluid is low temp hydraulic,blizzard radid action oil,or 5606 aircraft hydraulic oil ,check with wings in,plow down,no angle,i like to see slightly more than 3/4 full.

13. coolinthewoods

from Alaska

So I bought a Gallon of Blizzard oil yesterday and added it to the tank, I had the blade down, wings in, with no angle. filled it to about 1 inch from the top. I feel better knowing I have fluid in the tank but I noticed no differnence. Does dialing that knob on the main valve help speed thing up? or is that just for drop? Ps I paid 28.00 dollars for a gallon. just for info sake.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  14. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

The knob is just for drop speed. Have you pulled the resivor off to clean the filters? I would start there. Your pressure might be low and that could be adjusted, but if it worked good in the past it's probably ok.

,shaun

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  15. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

check connections maybe the motor. the knob is just drop speed... check for leaks

16. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Heck, we run trannie fluid in all our blizzards, have been for over 4 years no with no problems.

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

ATF was the fluid of choice in the beginning. After I showed some serious amp draw issues in cold weather to them and the difference by simply changing to Low temp oil it became the recommended. At 20 degrees F the tranny fluid begins to act very sluggishly. It will work but causes much higher amp draws to do the job. IIRC ATF is 5 times thicker at 20F than at 60F. Low temp oil maintains the same flow characteristics to 15 below, 34 below or 65 below depending on which type you use.

The Synthetic that we've been using for a couple of years now is good to 34 below and to 65 below only becomes 1/4 as thick ( Viscous ) as at 34 below.

To each his own but a 50-100 amp difference in draw is a lot to most peoples rigs.

Collin, Magnatrac is right. You need to pull the reservoir and check the filters first. You then need to put a pressure gauge on and check for pressure at dead head in any direction. Settings below 2000PSI will cause issues with lift. I set them between 2500 and 2700 psi. If this still does not cure your problem the questions next are

Have you cleaned your motor ( pull the cap and blow out the brushes )
    Are any other functions happening when you try to lift

J

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  18. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

HHHHMMMM, like maybe a wing creeping?

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Johnny, Is plow should be a single cyl unless they sold him old stock in 03.

20. coolinthewoods

from Alaska

I went out plowing today and it still is moving slow. I did see a hose that seems to have a small leak. Would one hose leaking cause the whole plow to move slow? Ok so how do I check/clean/replace this filter. oh yeah wheres that located? Sorry guys Im new to this plow.