1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please..Meyer E47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by adkplow, Jan 28, 2007.

1. adkplow

adkplow Junior Member

hello, forgive me (Im the new guy) for asking what mat be dumb questions, but I could use some help. I have a problem with my E47 Meyer pump and plow. It wont go down. I have performed the tests as per the Flow Chart, and there is 12v going to the A coil. The only way I can get the plow blade to drop is to either unloosen the A valve or the B valve. I have discovered that there is a collection of ice in the bottom of the piston housing, near the drain plug, so I removed the unit from the truck and have placed it indoors to warm up and defrost. Im hoping when it is thawed and thoroughly cleaned, I can re assemble it and have better luck. However, the left and right pistons (on the truck) are able to be moved by hand, which indicates air in there right?

How do you bleed the air out properly?
    What is the correct procedure for flushing and/or bleeding the entire system?

I could use some knowledgeable answers instead of referrals to other webpages please, someone out there has to know!

Thanking you all in advance...

2. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

Oh my ...where 2 begin..... If you know you have ice internally then take the pump off and get it inside where you can take it apart..drain it and such. Inside the main fluid body is a metal screen filter about 1 1/2" long, make sure it is clean, they get all clogged up and usually the piston wont go up. As in your case, if the A coil is getting power then the little pin hole opening could be frozen with ice. Drain and clean the entire unit and then re-fill with fresh fluid. You have to use 2 people in most cases to clear the rams of fluid. ONe has to hold the ball valve open on the line and the other to move the plow side to side. OR take the fitting off the ram ( hose and all ) and you can then drain it yourself by moving the ram all the way >IN< to move the fluid out.

You can always use a propane torch to heat the pump and melt any ice, we carry them just incase and its great for lighting your smokes ( when your outside the vehicle ).

3. adkplow

adkplow Junior Member

please explain further..

Thank you for the post! So please explain a little further for me, the idea is to get the FLUID OUT of the rams? The "rams" are the Left/Right pistons correct? You want to get the fluid OUT? Or you want to get the air out?
    Im confused I know, its probably funny to you pros!!
    But I took the pump inside, took the A, B, and C valves out, took the drain plug out, took the bleeder/fill cap out, and defrosted it...cleaned everything nice, O-rings in GOOD shape. Put it all back together, and YES, it goes UP DOWN LEFT and RIGHT, but the side to side I can still move by hand. So youre telling me to get the fluid OUT of the rams, please verify, just so I understand. THANKS!!

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If you have ice in the pump, then there is a good chance there is ice in the rams. You must be sure that all moisture is out of the system(including the rams) or you will end up having more freeze up problems.

6. adkplow

adkplow Junior Member

I think Im OK, but...

...in case you are correct, then the way to get the ice out of rams is what?

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

You need to make sure rams are above freezing(I have seen a lot of ice trapped in rams). If you can't get plow into a warm garage, then I would heat heat ram area of plow with a torpedo heater with area covered with a tarp. Make sure nothing can catch fire!!! If you have an extra set of quick connects, put them on ends of the angle hoses and place into a bucket(I use a large coffee can). Raise plow and block a-frame so plow cannot drop. Manually angle plow back and forth until all fluid is out. I then flush with naphtha to clean. Then reconnect to plow and operate until all air is out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's O.K. ADKPLOW ask away, questions are a major part of what this forum is.