1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some help on truck decision

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by meathead1134, Mar 30, 2005.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

First of all I don't want this to become a ford bashing or Chevy bashing thread. Here is the deal, I have come across a few trucks in the area for sale and I'm not sure which 1 to buy. I haven't test driven anyone yet but I would like some opinions :help: :help:

1. 1998 GMC 2500 regular cab 80K on it with a fisher minute mount
    2. 1999 F250 regular cab super duty with 78K on it 5 spd.
    3. 1999 F250 regular cab light duty with 38K on it.
    All trucks are within $1000.00 of each other, all are work trucks nothing fancy for options.

I will be expanding my business slowly and will have a few driveways to plow in the coming winter plus my own. The truck will not be an every day vehicle. In your opinion which one would be the 1 to take a look at. I really don't care if they are auto or manual. I will be towing my trailer with my lawn stuff on it.

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Personally I think that # 3 would be the better choice. Here are my reasons why. With #1, you don't know how well the previous owner(s) used it to plow. If it got used for commercial or just there regular driveway. If you talk to the previous owner and find out that it was used very little for plowing and don't have the money to shell out for a new plow then go that route.As for #2, you said that it will mostly be driveways, your knee is going to be very soar after plowing for a few hours. That is just my thoughts. I'm sure more people will chime in. Either way good luck and get pics.

William

3. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Is the GMC the "old" body style??? - if it is the old body style with DRUM rear brakes you WILL have brake problems. Not GMC bashing but we had 1999 K2500 GMC classic and 1996 K2500 suburban and went thru brakes like mad... And they will wear even faster when towing trailers!!! Both trucks towed a lot and the 2500 pickup plowed (with an 8 foot Western pro) and towed and both did excellent.

Again I'm not bashing GM (NOR plugging Ford) and I'm not talking about being abusive or beating on the truck and brakes. We didn't abuse them - GM was on the verge of recalling tens of millions of vehicles because of the poor brake design. They can be downright dangerous... The rest of the GM truck is on par with Ford even though some people don't like an IFS front suspension or the fact that the GM's have less ground clearance...
    On the plus side GM's Vortec small block or the newer LS1 small block engines are probably the best of the big 3 and GM's 4L80E auto trans and 14 bolt rears are every bit as good as the Ford. On the negative side for Ford is automatic trans problems which seem to have lasted up to the current era...

Good luck with whatever truck you choose! Try to have someone look the trucks over with you to make sure you're not getting someone else's lemon!

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would go for option one. It will allow you to service larger accounts as you grow your business.The manual tranny is out as you wont care for all the shifting as you get more accounts. And the light duty is not suitable for more than just driveways and limits you on future growth.I have a regular cab HD and am very pleased except for mileage.That engine in the Chevrolet is one that will last for quite some time and has plenty of grunt to pull any trailer.My .02 cents.

5. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

How Much

How much are you spending for them?

6. bull4428

bull4428 Junior Member

ford vs chevy

i have had both a ford and a chevy plow truck now. my ford was a 2001 250 superduty ext cab short box with a 7'6" fisher w/prowings. it had 6 sets of new hubs, a tranny at 26000 miles,manifold,fuel injectors,and some minor elec. problems it traded it in in dec. of 2004. Personaly i think the truck was cursed cause i hit a deer with it and some handicapped signes plowin to close. after i traded it in the guy how bought it was a friend of the dealers and he hit a deer and totaled the truck. the new truck is a chevy 2004 2500hd ext cab w/ a fisher 8'6" v plow. the only problem w/ this one so far is the gauge panel, the dash board is peeling, the the dealer said there is a problem with the transfer case. but its goin in for service. hope this helps

i used both for commerical plowing of parkin lots

7. meathead1134

from MA

All the trucks that I'm looking at are no higher than 13K. The GMC is classic CK style. I am no longer looking at the f250 light duty due to the fact that it is kind of an odd ball truck for several reasons. I am kind of leaning towards the GMC. I will update when I make a final decision. Any more replies would be appreciated

8. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I would take the 99 F250 LD. 1. Less miles 2. No plow on it 3. You can beef the front up to hold a 9 footer if you want.
    I plow with a 5 speed Ranger and wish I had an Auto but I got a killer deal so...
    Jason

9. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I would definately go with the GMC. Along with the fact that shifting a hundred times per driveway the auto would be a lot more forgiving on the driveline should you accidentally hit something while plowing. Just my opinion

10. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

In our humble opinion I think that our 1999 GMC with an 8 foot Western steel pro seems to have plowed better than our 2003 F250.... It scraped cleaner, stacked better, and seemed to have a bit better traction. Can't figure out whether it was the fact that the truck sits lower and that affects the plow frame geometry or whether it is the fact that the Ford has a Poly Ultramount and that plow frame geometry is different than the Unimount that is on the GMC...

On the reliablility side the GMC pickup was a Monday or Friday truck cause it had typical nickel and dime GM quality problems (plastic parts breaking, torsion bar mount coming loose...). The K2500 3/4 ton Suburban went over 200k miles with only a fuel pump (and lots and lots of brakes) being changed...

Our Fords have been solid and reliable with no problems at all! But their stock 5.4 engine can't compare to the vortec 350 (5.7) in the old truck when it comes to torque to move things... And I still think that the GM 4 speed automatic is much better than the Ford transmissions.

11. meathead1134

from MA

I have made a decision I bought the 1998 GMC 2500 for 10,900 with the fisher minunte mount 1 I will post some pictures in the coming future thanks for the help.

12. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Congrats. Sounds like you got your self a good deal. Can't wait to see some pics.

William

13. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

:drinkup: Great decision....Looking forward to seeing the pics.

14. meathead1134

from MA

thanks again for the help on this one