1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help on Suspension and Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jdjoe_97, Mar 10, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

I am going to start plowing next winter. I have a 98' Chevy Silverado 2500. First question, does anyone have suggestions on the best plow for this particular truck. I really like the Boss V, but I don't like the price. I found a Myers 7.5' two years old for $1650 but I don't know if I want this for sure. I was thinking that I should get an 8.5' plow. Also what can I do on the Chevy to eliminate front end sag. I had a dodge and was going to use air bags on the front, but this chevy has independant front suspension so I am a little bewildered. Thanks for any help guys. Joe

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Joe - check the thread "Front suspension question" by brimow, it's on pg 2 right now. Basically it's a matter of cranking up the torsion bars on the IFS front end, it's explained there. If your truck has an automatic, don't forget about a good trans cooler!

As for the plow, the Meyer might be a little on the light side if you're going to be doing commercial plowing. (No bashing going on here, just want to make sure you don't get something that won't stand up to your intended use!) I'll let others more qualified answer your questions about the V-plow & 8.5 blade - though I am wondering if the Boss V will be a little heavy for a 2500?

[Edited by 75 on 03-10-2001 at 03:53 PM]

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

The 8'2" Boss V would be an excellent match, as well as the Western and Fisher V. If you go with a straight blade make sure its not a 7.5, go at least 8', no matter the brand.

I really like the Boss v on my 3/4 ton Ford. If you get a V, of any make, you will probably never buy another straight blade!

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm sure you know, but if you run a keyword search you will get tons of good advice on different setups and plow brands. You could spend all weekend reading good advice.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You didnt mention if you had 6 or 8 lug wheels,if you have 6 lug,they wount mount a 8'2"V on it for sure,you need a little 7'6" bossV-i d jst go with a western straight 8 ft pro plow-just because its much lighter than theFisher 8 fter.If you have 8 lug wheels-you can hang whatever you want on there basically up to 9 ft.If you crank the bars,dont go more than 3 turns-itll start to handle funny and ride hard.Do you have the snow plow prep? pgk ,in the glovebo itll say VYU in the option codes,along with F60.If you have VYU then you already ahve aux tranny cooling,and the plow should nt sag it out to bad.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i plow with a 2000 chevy silverado 1500. we have a 7.5 fischer on the front. it sagged in the front, so we put in a rubber piece in the suspension made by TIMBREN. they are called loadbusters. AW Direct sells them. they install in minutes and eliminated the front end sag. as for the plow, i havent heard too many good things about meyer. id go with a boss,fischer or even a curtis.

7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

You could get a pair of coil over shocks for the front end, it'll help a little in addition to cranking the torsion bars. Be ready to replace some of the front end components. I love my GMC but the front end has put a dent in my pocket a few times. It's a six lug 2500, if yours is 8 maybe you'll have better luck. If you want a used plow wait, there will be a lot of them for sale soon. You have a lot of time before next winter don't buy something unless you like it and the price.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I would not put a heavy blade on that truck do to the weak front ends of GMs. On my 97, I spent $1,500 on the front end of my 1 ton with a 9 ft Western. In cranking up the torsion bars do not help with the rest of the front suspension, it may hold plow better but the parts do not like the weight. Maybe the new GM trucks are better.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have to disagree, a sub with a dodge has spent way more at 60K than I have have in the same milage with my 98 one ton. Both were one ton Cab and chassis.
    Dino

10. 66Construction

Dino

Do you have the 4X4 cab chasis or the two wheel drive with the solid I beam.

11. plowking35

from SE CT

I have the 4x4 c&c with the 6.5 TD and 4L80E and IFS front end with 12000 gvw. My truck is constantly over weight while plowing, but has never gave me any reason not to trust it. It is by far the best plow truck I have eve owned.
    Dino

12. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

My K1500 has 64K on it, with some abusive plowing this winter, and not one complaint. The only thing I've had problems with is the plow headlights.

-Tim

13. slplow

Dino, your the lucky one with the gms front end. Everybody I have talked to, even the place that replaced my front end, says they lose their front ends before 40k with heavy plows is GMs biggest problems. If any plow I would put on this truck is a Snoway because of how light they are.

14. plowking35

from SE CT

I dont buy that. I have spoken with many people that have had no problems with gm front ends at all. You have to grease them at every oil change, and they will be fine.
    The plow is only on the truck for a limited time, bad road conditions and driving habits will effect the front end more than a plow will. Most guys at the Gm diesel page are getting between 150-200K before a total front end rebuild. I will be happy if I get 75-100K, but it will be well worth it IMO due to the abuse the truck gets,plus if it needs it before 100K I get it replaced for free.
    Dino

15. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Dino. My front end gets greased quite often. As a result... my ball-joints (upper AND lower) are rock-solid. My pitman arm and idler arm have a little play in them, but not nearly as much as most of my buddies with fewer miles. Just goes to show ya that if you take good care of your truck, it'll take good care of you.

-Tim

16. 66Construction

I'm gonna start greasing my front end more. Even if the front ends don't last as long my confidence is still in the reliability of the GM trucks.

17. slplow

I greased my front end every 1,500 mi and still had to replace all of my front end. Being an ex gm tech (for 5yrs up in till 1990)I know how to maintain truck. I do say gm trucks give the best ride but I also think if I spent all my time with greasing the front end I should have gotten 75k out of my 97gmc.My brothers 1990 1500 front end lasted 100k but he does not plow. Maybe all the people I have talked to had fisher plows and they are heavy plows, but mine was a Western, which was a light plow, but still lost front end at 40k. That is why I think If I was going to put a plow on a GM, I would put a Snoway, because of how light they are.

18. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

For a broader view, pick up the April 01 Consumer reports automotive issue. Chevy/GMC trucks rate the highest for problems per 100 vehicles,(most) and the worst for problems and reliability.

No this is not my opinion but a fact based on 1000's of owners surveyed.

19. 66Construction

Well they should have surveyed GMC owners instead of Ford owners. :D

I'm still keeping my GMC even if it falls apart

What year truck was that. If it's for the new model I'll agree with that, My old man bought one and it's been back 6 or 7 times and he just got a recall letter the other day. My 90 GMC takes a licken and keeps on tickin(other then the front end)

20. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The 99 on up (Silverado) were the worst, far worse than the 98 and earlier.