1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some help - new truck to me with unimount plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tgh117, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tgh117

tgh117 Junior Member

I am attempting to put a unimount 8.0 pro plow on my 04 dodge reg cab gasser. I am aware that I need to use an ultra mount frame and the adapter, but can someone give me some ideas about the isolation module and wiring harnesses that I need. The plow uses a 9 pin plug, and only has 2 plugs. I have all the harnesses from the 77 chevy I took the plow off of, as well as the cab command unit, but I am having some problems with the dealer and want to be sure its all correct. I figured this was the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Going to guess that he said you need a 3 port iso mod # 29070 or a 4 port iso mod #8436 along with a new power cable and that you would have to change the headlight harness on the plow.

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Couldnt he use the older wiring with just a new headlight harness without going to the iso mod?

Or.... you could just wire the plow lights to a toggle switch and not hook it into the factory headlights...

Just an idea to save you some $$

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Have to really watch what you do with the lighting on these newer trucks. Lights are starting to be run through the computer and the wiring is just heavy enough to carry only the load it needs to, mess with it the wrong way and it gets expensive.

5. panhead9

panhead9 Member
    from NY

I did something similar on an 08 siverrado when mounting an old unimount and justleft the headlights alone, did not touch any stock wiring and wired the plow lights from battery thru a fuse then thru a switch with a solenoid to keep the amps down inside the cab. I only have hi beams (The old style western low beam lights suck anyway) but this could be remedied with a DPDT switch, and no turn signals but works great just turn off truck headlights.

6. tgh117

tgh117 Junior Member

Yea I was at the western dealer yesterday, and they told me $1400 would get everything I needed. I decided that I would buy the mount and the adapter, and then make the wiring work from the old truck harness.

We should be all good soon.

7. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

I was told the exact same thing today to put a Unimount on my 1999 GMC!

8. tgh117

tgh117 Junior Member

Sure does stink doesn't it. At least you have the option to buy a uni frame somewhere. They never made one for the dodge, so I did buy the ultra frame and adaptor. I will do some work to the wires to make them all work. I am pretty sure I should be able to do it.