1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help, must get this in today

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by rjlservices, Nov 1, 2006.

1. rjlservices

rjlservices Junior Member

We run a small, family operated plowing business and really only take on about 15 clients per year. Over the past few years, we haven't had very severe winters. Our plows are always priced "per push" and invoiced to our clients every time we go out.

We are looking at a client this year who wants a contract, and seeing as how we've never done that before, we need a little help.

I've looked around and found some contracts that I like. Simple (we're not big enough to have a 10-page spread of confusing legal babble) I've come up with one, but am missing a clause for it.

The client is being billed for 2 plows per week (seriously, over the last 3 years, we'd be lucky to get this) and is paying the entire season in advance, but we need a clause for heavy snowfall in which we have to go out more often so that we can bill them for it additionally. I mean, if we have to go out one extra time, or two extra times in one week, but don't go out at all the week after, we're going to be fair and let it go, but if we get a week long storm that just won't let up and we're going out 2 or 3 times a day, we need to cover our butts so to speak.

I've been reading around and i guess it's most commonly referred to as a "blizzard clause" ... anyone have an example of one I might be able to use in our contract? Any help would be appreciated. I feel so dumb, I've never had to draw one up before.

Thanks a lot!
    ~ Krystina

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Not sure what you are looking for exactly, but I think I would word it in your contract, just as you stated it. You are providing a service, for x amount. The service includes these services. Any services provided, or requested,above and beyond these listed, will be billable in the amounts of xxxx for.............

Not sure if it will help ya, but good luck.

3. rjlservices

rjlservices Junior Member

did a little more searching and managed to come up with this:

"In the event of blizzard conditions (snowfalls of 12 inches or more within a time frame consistent of one single event) rates for services will be based on the amount of accumulation and necessity for “Periodic Plowing”, in addition to the seasonal contract. These events will be invoiced and billed separately and payment will be due within 15 days of invoice.

Periodic Plowing or shoveling is defined as follows: These services will be done every few hours during an active storm depending on the snowstorm's severity to clean those areas specified in the contract."

Think that's okay? I'll have an attached proposal/estimate that outlines all the prices, including those for periodic plowing ... wow, who knew this was so tough? lol

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you try to get them to sign for a three year deal and forgo the Blizzard clause and have a penalty for early cancellation for reasons other than non-performance issues.