1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some help here guys

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mike psd, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

ok guy i need some help in picking a light bar ive done long of research and ive kinda came cross road ive been looking into LED's mainly casue there bright and draw almost nothing . my choices are sho-me able 2 or the whelen Responder LP. ive looked at both whelen products responder and lp with the linear looks to be way brighter over the con3's . at first i was looking at the nova aka aw-direct mini stobe bar but i really dunno if gunna cut it . so if anyone here has either i'm all ears on what you have too say thanks -mike

2. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

Light choice

As you seen in my video the sho-me is bright but the only reason we have one is due to the fact that they are not as bright during the day, I was kinda disapointed by it. If your are gonna spend the money then spend the extra few bucks and get a good one. Check Galls. www.galls.com

3. mike psd

from pa

yeah i thought it was strobe at first until you told me .hahaha ive kinda noticed that with sho-me nice light day time it looks ehhh. galls is way over priced one member here post a link for site this the whelen Responder LP i think it was unlimate plow great pricing vs. galls

4. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

emergencylighting.com....plenty of goodies

5. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Whelen or Federal.... Don't really like the snow-me's... Their kick-off's of Code 3's and Federals.

7. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

This is easy, linear Whelen Responder.

It is easily worth the extra $50-$60 over the cheapo Sho-Me.

8. mike psd

from pa

thanks guys !!!! i knew the lighting boys help me out i was kinda feeling the same way on the sho-me great at night ehhh during the day . i think it gunna be whelen does anyone that has one know how bright they are in the daylight ?

9. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

They are great in the sunlight as well as at night.

10. mike psd

from pa

one more question . should i get the prem. mount b/c of having better pattern's or magnetic mount patterns are just as good . i don't see 30 different patterns coming handy but who knows LOL .

11. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

Usualy the patterns are the same mag or perm. I prefer perm mount, lets face it there are alot of people out there who are not honest and if you have it and they like it then its gone.

12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

A couple pro's/con's Mag mount...CONS Scratches the paint, Easy for some Jerk to steal it off your roof if your not around it. PRO's You can take it off the truck when your not in a position that you need it, No Hard Wiring..Plug it in and go!

Perm Mount. CONS Have to drill holes in something, wiring it up, Can't remove when not in use, PROS The same thing on the removal, No wires to get caught in the door.

Just my 2 cents worth!

13. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

They both have the same flash patters. For some reason on the magnet mount the wire to change the patterns is not extended out from the inside of the lightbar. It is very easy to extended the wire so you can make changes to the flash pattern or you can remove the dome change the flash pattern and then reinstall the dome.

14. mike psd

from pa

thanks guys once again . eclipse thanks for the info on the bar very helpful most likey i'll get the magnetic mount just because maybe next year i'll get a back rack or some type of headach rack too mount too and i take my lights off once i'm done plowing as of right not wiring is not a problem at all too me i rather a perm mount but i'll prob modify magnetic bar once i get some way rack or something like that . hey eclipse so where do extend that wire too the switch at the crig plug ? and is just a dead wire in there hanging ?

15. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

You can extend the wire into the cab of the truck. To change the patter you just need to tap the wire to 12 volts. I wired it to a momentary pushbutton switch with 12 volts supplied to one side of the switch. You could just leave it hiding in the cab and tap it to a 12 volt source whenever you wanted to change the flash pattern.

16. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

www.lightbars.net has killer deals on used equipment. Look under "Misc Equipment" then "Amber Beacons". They currently have """ "
    Austin Electronic (Whelen) AdvantEdge Strobe These used lightbars includes 4 360 degree strobes and diamond mirrors. They are 50" in length and some have the high mounts with magnets included (as pictured) or permanent mounts. The strobes are double flash and each are self contained. We now have 3 back in stock! Price $155" """ [​IMG] If I didn't already have a lightbar, I'd jump on one of those.

17. TLC Snow Div.

TLC Snow Div. Senior Member

If i purchase a Whelen Responder LP in either a magnetic mount or perm. mount model then bought a switch like this would i be able to change the flash pattern?

http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=18263&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=424

18. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

Yes it appears that it would work but you do not need to spend $25 on a pair of switches.

All you need to change the flash patterns is a $4 momentary switch that you can pick up at Radio Shack.

19. TLC Snow Div.

TLC Snow Div. Senior Member

I already have 2 plain toggle switches in the truck. One is used for my current Whelen strobe bar but it didn't have multiple flash patterns. Would that work or is there something unique about a "momentary" switch because i think that it's actually just a button for quickly selecting the pattern and not constantly holding power like an On/Off switch. Am I right?

20. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

A regular on/off switch will work fine to power the bar.

You could think of a momentary switch as a button. To change the flash pattern you just need to tap the pattern selector wire to power for a second or two. You do not need to keep holding it to power.

I'm sorry if I am not explaining this very well.