1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help guys....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JayD2, Sep 7, 2010.

1. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I have some mowing customers asking me about removing snow from their small driveways and side walks this winter. I would like to know if any of you have ever done this small work with only snow throwers? Please don't laugh! every one has to start somewhere.

I bought a new Toro Power Max 1028 late last year for my own driveway and I do have another older one that still works for a back up.

I just thinking of doing for my mowing customers but don't really know how to price right. I don't want to be a lowballer.

Any help would be great guys....

Thanks...

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

yeah, we do all our residentials with shovels and snow blowers, 2 man crews. The only time we use anything else is when the snow if drifted up higher then a blower can blow it (then we bring a tractor or a skidsteer in). I have heard different peoples numbers for plowing, and really i think they are pretty close to ours, for average city residential, look at $15-30/drive/time providing it isnt too deep. On a average snow fall i expect a crew to do approximately 6-8 places a hour (drive time included) on a fairly tight route.

3. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

As long as the driveways are nothing too long or crazy, a good blower should be all you need! Good luck!

4. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Thanks....most of them are only two cars wide by maybe two cars long if that.

5. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Really? two guys can do 6-8 in an hour plus drive time? Are you talking about just side walks or are you talking about driveways? If driveways, what size are you doing where you can do 6-8 in an hour?

wow!

6. buckwheat_la

2-4 inches, driveways included, a mix of all different sizes.

7. buckwheat_la

i would also like to point out, that we normally use shovels, and only bring out the snowblowers for over 4+ inches. 2 guys shovelling moves pretty fast, one well have a 36inch snow push, another a 24 inches shovel, the push starts on the main drive way, the shovel starts on backyard path, and they usually meet on the sidewalk. Goes pretty smooth

8. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

So what kind of shovels do you use, is it the ones from SnowPlow.com or have you used the ones from Manplow?

Any input on either of these?

9. buckwheat_la

cheap ones, begining of the year, i drop about $500-600 on shovels, 10 pushers, and 20 hand shovels give or take

10. buckwheat_la

and always keep a couple big metal grain scoops, sometimes we get heavy drifts, that need to be broken up because the snow blower won't handle them

11. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

What is it that you are calling "pushers"?

12. buckwheat_la

if you are just starting out, go with 4 snow pushes, and 6 shovels, always have a back up, because in a bad storm, all the shovels at your local hardware store, etc could disapear fast on you. or if you get a bad storm, and inlist outside help, you have a extra set of stuff. just a suggestion too, i have the local employement agency on speed dial, if you are going to do this stuff by hand, make sure you have back up if you run into a bad situation

13. buckwheat_la

a snow pusher, is a 30-48 inche blade attaced to a steel bar type handle looks like this

(edit, after i did my creative picture, it wouldn't display)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  14. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Yeah, your right about that, first snow here and every one go's nuts into a panic mode LOL.....Our local news all 4 of them make a big deal out of weather here. The first sign of a rain storm and their breaking in on our TV programs keep saying the same thing over and over again.... Its so funny because they will call in extra weather guys/gales and two or three on there (same Chanel) at a time and they all will say the same thing...

15. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Where can you get the snow pushers?

16. buckwheat_la

any hardware store, home depot too i think, all it is, is a very wide blade (3 ft ish) and a U shaped handle, it is good for pushing snow, but not good for stacking it

17. buckwheat_la

nicerinkAPP36KAC[1].gif found a picture, hope this helps

nicerinkAPP36KAC[1].gif

18. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

OH, OK.....I see what your talking about now....One of the sponsers on here I think its Manplow or something has something like that...