1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help fast.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Johnny Bravo, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

Hi all, I had my plow truck burn up on me this summer, had an old 7'5 western cable operated plow on it, not worth fixing the truck or putting the plow on my other truck, it would cost as much as getting a new truck. It's safe to say that I lack knowledge when it come to plows.
    I found a 80s chevy with what I think is an older meyer plow, the plow doesn't look as big as the plow I have so I'm thinking it's a 6' or 6'5, the controller for it is 2 toggle switches, one for up/down and one for left/right. I saw it at a garage, the guy just had a rebuilt trans put in & had some other work done, the truck is rusted bad, missing the driver side floor, but I can fix that. The side hydraulic rams are rusted, but figure I can use the ones from the plow I have now.
    This is where I could use some help. Would this be a cable operated plow like the western ? Are these plows any good ? Any trouble areas I should check when I go to look at it ? The guy is asking $1,500 firm for it, what it cost him to have the work done. Would that be a good price for that kind of plow ?

Thanks for you time and help.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Sounds like a Meyer Electro Lift controls, which have been around since Christ wore short pants!

I have owned both Western cable and Meyer electrically controlled plows and they both have there short Cummings, its all in what you get versed in.

I have found that the Meyer Electro controls are very simple electrical circuits, inexpensive , plentiful for parts and still widely used! With that being said the pump end of the system can be a challenge at times, bad connections, trouble shooting the coils and solenoid valves often have me puzzled. Like with anything if you properly maintain them , study the service manuals at the Meyer site and have a good service tech available if needed, you can resolve most issues quickly. I will tell you from my experience there are plenty of parts both new and used for these plows, and it never hurts to have a good back up pump and other spare parts ready to go when the need arises, I recommend that to all my customers.