1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help dialing in my unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bizzo15, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Last year I picked up a used unimount 7.5' plow and installed it on my '91 Chevy 1/2 ton. I installed it at the end of the season and only plowed with it once. I just hooked it back up this year to make sure everything is working and get it ready for this season (if it ever comes). Everything is working but I noticed that when I raise the plow off the ground there doesn't seem to be much clearance between the bottom of the cutting edge and the ground. It was like this last year but I figured it was because I didn't have any ballast. This year I put 500lbs of ballast behind the rear axle and it still seems like the plow doesn't raise up very high. I took a tape measure and measured from the ground to the bottom of the cutting edge and it's 6". I also measured from the ground to the bottom of the unimount frame with the plow lowered and I'm getting 7". According to the western manual I should have anywhere from 9 1/2" - 10 1/2" clearance to the mount when the plow is lowered.

As far as the plow not lifting up very high I thought maybe I just needed to readjust the chain but when the plow lowered there isn't much slack on the chain to begin with, so I don't really want to take it up a link or two. Any ideas on how I can get the heights I need?

2. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

Sounds like you might be getting some sag in the front of you truck from the weight of the plow. You can put as much weight in the rear and its not going to do a whole lot to help. You might want to look into a set of timbrens or airbags for the front of you truck if it is indeed sagging. I had the same issue when I went from a straight blade to a v plow. Truck was sagging like crazy.

3. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Yeah I'm thinking my t-bars need to be cranked but I have a feeling they are seized pretty good from spending 20 years in Upstate New York.

4. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

The 9-1/2 to 10in measurement is with the plow off the truck if I am remembering the mounting instructions correctly. When I had mine I was always kissing curbs and speed bumps with it and I had the t-bars wound up pretty tight because there was a BOSS V on my truck before I had the Western. You should be able to raise the plow high enough to just about block the plow lights with enough chain to allow the plow to float quite a bit. I had a 7'-6" Pro Plow on my 91 1500 GMC and like I said the only clearance issue I had were speed bumps and curbs.

5. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

When I raise the plow the top of the moldboard comes up to about dead even with the hood.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ok,,heres a question, with the plow on the ground, what is the distance from the ground to the top of the fender? what is it when you raise it? to give you some type on number to shoot for. on all our trucks, I shoot for no more than 2". now granted they are either 3/4-1 tons or leaf spring front ends. over the years of wrenching on these trucks, I have found that alotta sag = more front end issues. check your measurements and keep us posted.