1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some help choosing...SD VS HT

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dinger838, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

i have a 2006 dodge dakota, im looking to put a plow on it and doing my drive way which is pretty big and about 4-6 others (family, neighbors etc) i want a fisher plow since ive had good luck in the past. but my question is quick match says i can use the SD OR HT model. the sd even has a picture of it with a dakota. but the sd seems to weigh more? so would the HT be a better option? the suspension is somewhat beefed up as well. thanks guys

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're stuck on Fisher, get the HT. Lighter, direct lift. The consensus seems to be that you need to put a cutting edge on to stop the blade chatter some have experienced.

Sno-Way way would also be an excellent choice for your truck.

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Click the link and read up about my HT.

4. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

Thanks i read your signature and it seems like the HT will be fine. i would look at snoways but it seems who ever i talk to has some kind of problem with them and there priced so close to fisher. What makes the SD series weigh more? i would think it to be lighter, can you please explain the difference between quick lift and chain lift systems.. thanks guys what should i be looking for a ball park price for the everything plus install?

5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
    Been wondering this for a while, you are seeing a lot of companies having direct lift vs. chain. Probably the most prominent rivalry in this fight is Boss vs. Western.

Except for the Western/Fisher HT units which are direct lift, oh and DD's other company Blizzard

My assertion is, a chain lift system will always give instant float when needed,

as will a direct lift they both relieve pressure though the use of cartridge valves but with direct lift there is no waiting for the chain to tighten to lift
    and when stacking snow, you can basically push to the limits for the frame.

Same with a direct lift, you can push it right up to the stacking stops.
    In the event of a failure, you can hike the chain up to carry the blade home.

Direct lifts don't break but if they do a ratchet strap works nicely

However, a chain plow will bounce all over the place when driving over bumps and whatnot.

Or scraping rough surfaces,
    How does a direct lift provide instant float over rough patches,

same as a chain lift it relieves pressure though a cartridge valveand how does it work when stacking snow high?

Great
    I have always been partial to the chain setup, the simpler the better,:

How is a cylinder lifting an arm to tighten a chain simpler then just using the cylinder itself? Saves a little weight too.

The blue are answers from Basher, he is a very smart fella.

6. fx4plowin

fx4plowin Member

Check the thread for fisher ht that I started, look at the pics and the quality that the ht does. Then have someone post pics of what an sd can do and go from there! I have plowed with both and take ht over an sd anyday of the week! But the decision is yours just make sure they put the upgraded jackstand on it if you buy an ht

here you go http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=116902

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

thanks guys the HT and direct lift seems like the way to go. i just have a few questions for comparing the two, whats the difference between the SD Cutting Edge 1″ x 6″ Poly and the HT edge which is 3/8″ x 6″ or 1/2″ x 6″ Steel. and the sd has 8 ribs where as the HT 6 plus a tube? does this make the SD tougher? and also the sd is 2 inches wider. why would they put a wider blade on a dakota than a halfton? and one last question can someone explain the angling ram measurements? Angling Rams 1 1/2″ x 10″ fot the SD and 1 1/2” x 8” fot the HT does this mean the sd angles more? thanks a ton guys im a plow newb and just want to make a informed choice for the money.

8. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

FX4 great thread. i think you sold me on the HT haha

9. fx4plowin

fx4plowin Member

they are both 7'6" poly edge wont scrape like the ht steel, i like the 6 plus the tube since it is right above the trip edge where more support is needed when it trips and springs back, the sd is 26" high the ht is 27" high both 14 gauge steel. the sd plow angle is 6'9" and plow angle of the ht is 6'7" not that i complain about that small of an amount, the ht comes with security guard on the fishstik the sd does not..the choice is yours, any other questions, please by all means feel free to ask and im sure that someone will help you out with no problem

10. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

SD is also chained. I like that. I also like the polymer. the pros of the HT is it's cheaper and 1 whole inch taller. I like the SD. I think paying the extra is worth it

11. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

after reading the rest of the posts, i'm for HT now.

12. Im-not-guilty

Im-not-guilty Junior Member
    from Maine

Sd all the way
    H/t harder to get on and off
    cant stack with out busting it
    You can try but the piston will blow thru the a frame
    Call the fisher dealer and ask some in the shop about the h/t not just the salseman

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Put a steel edge on the SD and it's a lot better plow than the HT IMO.