1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Strictly Snow, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

I am new to bidding on properties myself. I have always subbed in the past due to it was much easier for someone else i never had time with my current business to do this. I have a current property that i service for my main business that now wants a quote i could use some help both in what time it should take and amount of material (salt tonnage)

Regal1.jpg

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

alot of time & salt.

Good Luck

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Decent size site. How much pavement is there? Walks too? Specs? Time frame? Get some basic info together so someone can help you. :confused:

4. Strictly Snow

from Oxford

Most of what you see is pavement walks are little to none at each building these could be handled in a matter of ten minutes for each building. They are set up like hotels with drive ups to each of the front doors so the only walks are short runs (approx 20' from emergency doors) no perimeter walks. Time frame is flexible and they have a onsite maintanance staff with a small plow truck for necessary off hours attention. The square footage or acreage of pavement is almost all you see minus a few places i couldnt begin to guess how much

Regal1.jpg

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You have to break it down into chunks, then add all the chunks up.
    1. That is a HUGE site.
    2. you are going to need more than your truck. Think a lot of subs. A site that size is probably worth having a loader/skidsteer on site also or even a class C dumptruck with a 10'/11' blade to do the bigger areas.
    3. A huge storm (12 to 18" plus) is going to be a real problem, you simply aren't going to be able to move the snow far enough without some good sized equipment.

IMO The red triangle area you did in the picture above (379 spaces) would take one pickup truck about 2 hours. Go from there.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You need to do a little work and know what you're dealing with. Garbage in=garbage out.

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You need to break it down into each parking area. Put atleast one truck on each parking area. With a skid loader to help stack all the areas during clean up.

The problem with these areas is there is NO place to put snow. AND cars are always in the parking lot.

Break it into chunks and work from there.

I don't want to put a dark cloud over you, but every time I bid these types of properties, I'm way high. Someone will come in and bid 3 trucks 2 hours at $50 a truck and they will get it. My advice would be to go really high, give them the bid and see what happens. Unless you really need the work then put a lot of time and effert into bidding it and then reduce your cost even more.

Good Luck

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

IMO it will take about a month LOL

9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Yep, I agree, lol!

10. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

fiqure your price per sq ft (Example if it will take one truck an hour to do one acre at 100/hr. 100/43550 will give you your sqft price to plow. take that and multiply it by the number of sqft total. add island in your in your sqft too because you have plow around them so it takes time.)

11. Strictly Snow

from Oxford

This i can tell was not a good jumping off point to do my own bidding. I welcome all help and thank those that have. I hope my numbers are good it fell in the 6 digits for seasonal with salt.

12. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Seasonal with salt? Uh oh.

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

just curious where your piling the snow? each lot must have a pile, gonna just be truck stacked or loader piled higher? MI gets alot of snow, a truck stack only would take up lots of room because you cant go very tall w/o loader.

14. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

one million dollars...oh, I mean one billion dollars...

15. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well I am not trying to be a d*ck here but I am truely confused...

have you measured yet? what is getting plowed? you doing the highway in the top right too? you said you are doing about everything....

can you pile snow in the pool if you are plowing that section too?

like other have said measure! get out and walk the lot. even if you just figure the lenght of your step and count off sections. at least you will know what the size of the lot it. then when you measure sections decide whats needed in that lot for the worst storm you think you will get. then sit down and look at what you need for each section and how long it will take, and put it together as to how much equipment to put on the whole site for the time you feel you have to do it....then double your equipment list and the amount of salt you think it will take and you shouldn't loose your *ss

16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Need MEASUREMENTS TO ASSIT YOU

think 600 lbs per acre, on a light application at a minimum.... i dont even know what to tell you that you need to have equiptment wise,

Ill put it to you liek this, if you cant salt a building of that size in less than 90 mins, you dont have the rigth equiptment... with that said , salt on site? travel time... you need to add it all up

and salting durning the day , and with ppl , and traffic will take more time , almost double, you still need to fall under that 90 min rule

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Nice sized site. That would be a decent one to have. !

I love all the feed back all so true.

Take a wheel and measure the parking lots. Post the numbers and there are many people on here that will get you realy close on time and tonage . Hope you have a good salt source lined up!!

That being said i HATE condo's and apartments!
    If they want it looking good i would have a bobcat or tractor out there for parking spots.

Also i would put in my contract that you do not do single open parking spots. All it will take is a little shift in the blade and you are "can opening" on the side of a residents car.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

6600 a push or 25 snows for 165000?

i pulled that out of my azz.
    I still dont see where the snow is going.:confused:
    Looks like something out of my league!! If you get behind on it during a storm i can imagine things wouldnt be easy to catch up. And all the cars, people walking and traffic! :eek:

19. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Just for fun, and without spending much time this is what I'm thinking, 3 major pieces of equipment (tractors or loaders) price them at 40k a year each =120k. 2 skids for the small areas 15k a year each= 30k. Salt, 15 tone per aplication @ $195 tone x 40 aplications= 117k. Total for year 237k. I think you'll be safe with those numbers, should be able to net close to half that. I know all areas have different labour, equipement, salt rates, and again just for fun. Good luck, let us know how you make out!