1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 02Chevy, Dec 18, 2006.

1. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

I am bidding on a grocery store and I have never plowed commercial so I was just wondering what to look for and how to do this so I don’t lose money.
  2. crabman

crabman Junior Member

Good place to start is by reading and searching through bidding and estimating forum.
  3. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I would say,, try to figure out how long it will take you to plow a 3 in event, say 1.5 hrs. then say you want to make about $75 per hour. any walks to shovel ? say maybe 1/2 worth of shoveling. Now the big question,, how many snow events on average will you have 8 12 16? lets say 8 in your area.
    2 hrs @ $75. = $150 X 8 events = $1200. for a 1 year seasonal contract for plowing,,
    Are you salting? say 10 bags on the lot and walk ways,,, takes you 1/2 hr to salt $35
    plus cost of salt x2. so say $55. So $90 to salt every event.

Well How did I do fella's? Lets hear the rebuttals to my method. I'm sure LLm Ann Arbor will have something negative to say at least.
  4. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

always something to say

Im new to the site,and I see what your saying. I always say if it's not constructive,KEEP your Fingers STILL!!!!!!!
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Generally I suggest to try figuring "worst case" that you have more than your average storms and it takes you 25-30% longer than you think. You have to consider grocery stores will need some extra attention throughout the days, and plowing around cars can get tedious. Maybe figure out all your time & expenses for an "average" winter, and add 20% for the Sh** happens factor. Good luck!

6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If this is a decent sized grocery store i'd say you need heavier equip than a 1/2 ton chevy. Those banks get awful big - especially in cle. right? Around here they plow grocery store sized lots with heavy duty equipment - not p/u trucks - and certainly not 1/2 tons. - Jason
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Good point cjasonbr; plus doesnt cleveland get pounded with lake effect snow and dont forget about all the carts in the parking lot!
  8. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

Thanks for the feed back every one. Yea Cleveland gets a lot of lake effect. Also I am Trading in my 1500 for either a 2500 or 3500 this year but still don’t know which to get.
  9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Things to ask first...

Why do they not have a contract this late into the season? Are they a small independant with less than an acre of a lot? Did they approach you for a Bid?

Have you asked them what they look for in a contract? What are those parameters?

What equipment are you using? How long have you been plowing residential?