1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help bidding this lot.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lyons Lawn Care, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Lyons Lawn Care

Lyons Lawn Care Junior Member

The big parking lot area 130680 sqft plus side walks and road area that outlines the property. The small lot is around 21,000 square feet. Everything is outlined in red so you guys can have a pretty good idea of the area I am talking about.
    I need your help on all of it the bid, how much salt do you guys think it should take and the time. I am a single truck operation and this and one other lot are the only lots I would be doing.
    I will have a 7.5 foot plow I will plan on doing this lot with. I will put the other image up later today.

danvill square lot.jpg

2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I will say this you will need a lot more equipement then that, you use now how much can you get done in a hr to base what u'll need . you need a heck of a lot more then that your looking at around 3 1/2acres w/o access rds !
    what Sqft do the access roads add to it ?
    What are you going to use to sand this property,

JD Dave will see this plus some of the other guys that do large lots and will give you very good experienced advise, and tell you, that you may want to bid this next year and see what the contractor uses on this property this year!!, you need to learn how much a application of sand will cover if they want it heavy, light, salt, no salt, can you store sand at site?I hope you can get salt this late in the season other wise your going to paying threw the roof, time requirements on getting this done by, what are the triggers 1"? 2" do you need to be on site during the hole storm or just too keep access open? Where can you push it to is there only one spot ?

My Thought's on equipment would may be have a wheeled loader with a 14'-16' pusher to help out and push pile to other end if there is only one place you can stack snow, 2-3 Trucks 3/4 or one ton with at least 8' straight or V blades, one of these trucks with a 1.7 spreader if you can have sand on site if not I would go with a mid size dump truck that could hold 5 tons with tailgate spreader or large V spreader, a skid loader with blade or pusher on it for docks and loading areas and if you can use it on the sidewalks, If not then I would have 3-4 guys for hand labor with one or two SnwBlwers or a mid sizes lawn tractor like a JD 440 with blade. Hrs 9 hrs for trucks 3 each, 5 hrs loader to help in clearing then to stack piles, 3 for skid loader, 10hrs hand labor 5-6 tons of salt or sand or salt/sand mix.

Well we will see how far I 'm off On my thoughts on equipment is (I'm ready for a bashing JD Dave), LOLI have learn a lot from these larger lot operators, I would love to get more offers to bid lots like these but competition around here is tuff!! and trying to find out the owners or property managers is a pain.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

Don't forget about what will happen if it's a late or daytime snow. You might have problems trying to keep driving lanes and enter/exit roads open with just a 7.5 plow. It could be done but it is the hard way of doing it.

4. Lyons Lawn Care

Thanks for alll the input, I really appreiciate it. I went in today to talk to then and they told me they had a guy price his labor at $50.00?? How do you do it for that price?

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Youre joking right? A loader w/12 ft pusher alone would knock that place out in a couple of hours max. A straight blade on a pickup, maybe 3.5...4.5 tops with coffee and pee break.

6. Lyons Lawn Care

I thought nine hours sounded pretty high. I was think 3-4 hours including salting of course I may be wrong though.

7. TPC Services

well Johnny, Like I said that's JMO so I guess I was jokin, If you read it is talk about less hrs if loader is used and that all depends on were they want it all pushed, (EVERY ONE HAS THIER OWN THOUGHT"S) I do'nt know how fast you plow but that hole lot in 3.5 to 4.5 with 7'6" straight blade wow you must be truckin!!! not counting cars and traffic in the way if your pushing during the day!

Is that for trucks or hand labor $50 for a truck I'll stay hm, hell of a run to be pushing snow all the way to the right of that picture what is that about 1200' or more? not worth the abuse my trucks would take on a 4"-6" let along a 2"

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

No sweat littleo, if you look at the pic, you really have nowhere to push the snow at the ends of the big lot, one side is drive, the other if the bldg. Your not going to be pushing all the way to the end. So a pile down the middle will cut your travel. IMO straight blades are useless, a V would cut the time down when the lot is mostly vacant, however, I wouldnt sent a truck to do this lot to begin with. But then again, thats JMO, and a str8 blade is what he has.

9. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Maybe if you get 3" and it stops, it will take 3-4 hours. If it snows all day you will be there two days. I have a good amount of equipment and out of my fleet I would put a loader with 14' or 16' pusher and have 2 of my trucks that have blizzard 810's on them feeding the loader. And a shoveler / blower guy or 2. And I get 50.00 an hour to have a shoveler on site at a place like that. So I can only wonder who gave them that price?

If I were you I would pass on this one.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

to big for one truck. I have one that size that I sub out and I have two trucks there with 9 ft blades with wings....

11. TPC Services

Lyons lawn care
    He has not sid if that $50 is for plowing or hand labor yet I would really like to know, as I said if its $50 for a truck then I'll keep my truck in the garage!!

Apik1 ur talkin 3-4 hours per truck so if you had two trucks there then a total of 6-8hrs right!!

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if you only have one plow and only one lot i would try to get this lot at any cost just to stay busy....i don't know the size of your other lot, but if it's not too big i wouldn't think it would be worth having a plow truck sit around just for one lot.....if you get this big lot i have someone as back up to help out a bit in bigger snows......otherwise i would do it with your one truck so you could at least run 8-12 hours per snow.....

13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I ment 3-4 hours for one truck with a 7.5' plow as stated in the origional post.

14. Lyons Lawn Care

It was 50.00 an hour for plowing with the truck, I couldn't believe it. I am thinking twice about bidding now as most on here are coming to the conclusion its to big for one truck. Plus my bid would be alot higher than the guy at 50.00 an hour.

15. Jay brown

it's not too big for one truck if you only have one other lot (if the other lot is small)...if it gets to be too big sub some of it out....you gotta take chances or you'll never get anywhere....if you only have one other lot i would bid this lot a $49 per hour just to stay busy, you can raise your prices when you get more jobs and more trucks......if you need a sub call the guy that bid it at $50 and help ya if ya need it......you'll be losing a $1 per hour by hiring him but boo hoo, you'll get the job done and next year you can raise your rates after you name get around town....

16. Lyons Lawn Care

Sounds like good advice.. I mow for the people who own the lot so maybe they will take a 60.00 an hour bid since they know I always strive to do my best for them.

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have two questions.

1. How many snow events do you get where you are at in Kentucky?

2. What is the "average" depth of snow per "event"

2. Where are you expected to plow the snow?

I know, I wrote 2 twice but I said first that I had two questions so I decided to go with that.

18. Lyons Lawn Care

We get 3 to 4 snow events a year here in KY that actually involve accumulation. Accumulation is usually between 2-6 inches, and very rarely does it get more than that. They just want th snow plowed up in to large piles in the edges of the parking lot.

19. TPC Services

You would need two trucks on this place at least there is no way in heck there going to allow you to take 8-12 hours to plow this lot, as stated in someone else's post also I highly dought the guy that you took the job from is going to help you out after you out bidding him!!! an if he does I would not leave him alone on it,( there is a reason their looking fo a new contractor to do this)

What time do they want it dn by?? and if its a late morning snow they are'nt going to push that time back so ur still going to have to get it done by that set time!!!
    By the way that may be what they where paying for to have the other contractor do it last year an GEE I wounder why they are looking for someone else because he was not doing a quality job! there going to say that to see if you would do it for that also, I would say hay I'm at $60 because I care about doing the job right and make sure that it's done in the quality of meaner you are expeting. An I 'm guessing that's why ur looking for a new contractor that can handle getting this place cleared out and looking nice for your customers in a timely and professonal way!!

20. Jay brown

what is wrong with 8-12 hours to plow? if you only have 2 lots to plow total? just plow WITH the storm and you'll be fine... at $50 per hour you can't afford to go out and buy $20-$40k in equiptment to plow this.....just use your one truck and you'll be fine.....what is the worst that could happen, you get lots of hours in plowing?