1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help and info

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SalNazzaro, Jun 4, 2014.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ok guys so I've bid on smaller lots before and have no problem figuring them out, now saying that I've been invited to bid on a large shopping center, I'm trying to see how everyone figured out salt usage for paved areas and calcium for walkways. Center is roughly 3tenths of a mile wide by close to 5 tenths long, just need some help. Thanks

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Doesn't matter how big or small the site is...you begin your forecast of material usage based on square footage.

3. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's what I've been told, would it be wrong to ask the property manager if they have the square footage for the site?

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yes.

That is part of your due diligence.

Even if they tell you what it is, I wouldn't trust what they tell you.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Google earth measure it out

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Better yet go buy a wheel and measure it yourself. Google Earth isn't always accurate.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Go ilawn is. But it's expensive

Find lot size is free

8. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Buy the wheel once you have it all kinds of things to measure.

9. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea I have a wheel, gonna be a lot of walking!

10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Partner if the winter goes well you have enough machine time I look forward to walking all summer cutting lawns and such, by about mid August I start looking forward to sitting in a machine moving snow.

11. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ok so how much sq ft does a ton of salt roughly cover?

12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Do what the road guys do. Crack the door and stick the wheel out the door. Might want to do it when it's off hours or something to avoid strange looks.

13. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

This works extremely well, go on an early Saturday morning or late at night on a weeknight.

14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sounds like at least a 6 yard hopper full? I am only guessing, and am watching for answers myself. May do big lots myself some day.

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

16. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Why didn't I think of that! Pulled mine out of my hunting gear this morn and did some measuring, did the old road guy trlck and drove and measured at the end lol. Got all the measurements now just have a get a rough square footage for the center. What's a general rule of thumb for bulk salt usage?

17. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ok so I roughly got 1.3 million square feet of paved surfaces so far I'll add it all up again to double check. Didn't add up walkways yet

18. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

19. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Did the math and have roughly 30 acres of paved parking area just need to try to figure out salt, I've seen anywhere from 6-800lbs per acre and figuring around 10 tons to salt everything once, any info would be great

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

JEEEEZUSS, 30 acres of paved plowing? You better buy 10 new cutting edges now!
    What do you plan on using to move the snizzle? Sounds like a job for two 8611 blizzards and two 950 sized cat wheel loaders with 20' box pushers!