1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help advise on my fisher plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CodyL, Feb 11, 2015.

1. CodyL

CodyL Junior Member

Hey guys, My plow has been acting weird all season but was working we recently had a blizzard and about half way through the pump froze up so I brought it to my local dealer had it serviced, it worked fine for the rest of the storm had the same problem the last couple of storm so I heated the pump and it worked the last two storms, the last storm it stopped working completely so I looked at it and replaced all 3 valves as they were jammed and replaced a solenoid and took the pump out and cleaned it again still didn't work we have been through everything possible that we can think of except replacing the pump so i let it sit overnight and the next day it started working a little bit but is stuttering a lot and very slow to raise and angle you have to angle it to raise and lower it to angle any ideas what this could be some help asap would be greatly appreciated as we are getting 3 more storms in the next 7 days it is a 1996 mm1

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

When you/them serviced it, did you drain the rams? The lift cylinder?
    How was the filter?

Try cking the coils to make sure there getting magnified enough to pull in the valves.

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

there must be water getting in the reservoir or in the system in order for it freeze or it has never been completely flushed out.

4. CodyL

CodyL Junior Member

Yes they did drain everything and the filter had some black slim stuff in it they put 4 quarts of fluid through and I put more fluid in after i cleaned it out the other day and i replaced 1 of the 3 coils and it still didnt do anything until the next day and since then it just stutters

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well, Ck the fluid see if its froze again

6. CodyL

CodyL Junior Member

I just checked to see if it was froze again and I think it may be froze again it raised but was very slow and extremely slow to angle right or left with a high pitched whine to it.

7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I'm no expert with plows, but here's my 2 cents. My plow started moving slow during a storm last winter and the motor was screaming. I put a couple ounces of sea foam trans tune in. It got me through the next couple of storms until I had time to change the fluid.

8. CodyL

CodyL Junior Member

ill give that a try i think the problem is a bad seal in the lift ram dragging moisture in and freezing the pump I have the part to do it just dont have the time with the constant storms

9. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

If it were serviced by a dealer and they flushed out everything at the same time (I mean everything-pump, hoses, lift and angle rams) and it is still freezing up, something is wrong here? While water can get into these pumps, the Fisher and Western pumps like you have are solid units with few places for water to get in if my memory serves me correctly? It sounds like all they did was open the drain, let all the old fluid out, refilled it, maybe ran the pump a few times with new fluid in it, drained it again, refilled it with new fluid and gave it back to you?

While this will help in removing SOME of the water, it will not get it all and until you do, this problem will keep reoccurring until it is flushed correctly. :)

10. CodyL

CodyL Junior Member

That may be true because it is a solid unit and it was only in the shop for maybe a half hour and when i checked the filter last the other day it had some of the black slim they were talking about on it I put some of the that sea foam in it today and with in a half hour it was working again but hopefully it will hole for the weekend for this storm we are supposedly getting another two feet in my area so cant really afford to be down again but i have never had a fisher unit with so much trouble have any of you guys ever had a seal go bad on the lift ram and drag moisture from snow back in? that's what a guy at the dealer told me but it shouldn't be taking enough to freeze it and the fluid says its good for up to -15

11. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I'd drop the res. & change the filter myself. Make sure u replace the rubber o ring for the res. I had the same problem with my unit last year but seams I resolved it by cleaning everything and changing the filter & fluid.

12. CodyL

CodyL Junior Member

Ill try that hopefully this week but who knows with the storms we seem to be getting one every other day, they said they replaced it and ran 4 quarts of fluid at the dealer but I don't think they cleaned everything out

13. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

When u have everything apart make sure u flush out the rams thoroughly. with the lines all disconnected from the pump and the A frame resting on a block, angle the plow back and forth manually. This will serve to flush out the angle rams.

14. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

There is no way they drained everything, flushed it, ran 4 quarts of fluid through it, filled it back up and reassembled it in 30 minutes. It just isn't happening. I am sure if you take an hour or two of your time and flush it out correctly your troubles will go away.:D