1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some guidance

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by NCat496, Dec 29, 2009.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Well I was reffered by one of my top customers to call his neighbor for plowing this year. I made the call and its a corner lot with 3 houses and 180 acres. I gave the guy a quote per push and we drove the property 3 times with the owner so we made sure we were clear on everything. Well first time out I went and plowed it, ended up taking twice as long but no big deal i thought first time there and i did a nice job. Well on my way home after the storm I get a call from him asking me for my email address and he said i had missed a few things. So i drive right to the property and check things out in the day time now and everyhting i felt was fine. Get home and check my email and there is a list of 10 things i missed but 8 of these things were not talked about the 3 TIMES we drove the property with him. So i told him if he wanted these extra things done i cant do it because its small stuff that you need a jeep for. He is telling me he used to do it with a 1 ton dump.

So now i am torn between making this guy happy and not upsetting my original customer also. The guy is a pain to work for i am finding out through other contractors. Also i told him the price would go up to add that extra stuff and i would not be responsible for the damage my truck does.

The feeling i get from this guy is that he thinks its a privlage for me to be working on his property, I could care less. Sorry for the long post im just torn and need some outsider views.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Only you can run your business - run it as you think best. Sometimes, that may mean saying "No". Are you just going to take what nobody else wants?

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I agree you don't want to pi$$ off your original customer but with that said it already takes you longer than expected and add-ons are not free! Good luck.

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

What are the extra things? I hate PIA customers. I had 2 that I did not plow this year nor did I ask them if they needed me. I was happy when they didnt call me for this last storm. Sometimes its just not worth it. If the guy who referred you says anything just say you are not able to meet the other guys demands.

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

The extra things were all hand work aroung alot of extra garages on the property and plowing a lane to a few gas wells on the property. Basically you feel like you are plowing through a field waiting to get stuck. I tried quitting on the the guy already and he keeps telling me he needs me and then i feel guilty.

I feel any relationship with this guy is already ruined because of me trying to quit but he stil wants me. I also didnt screw him and gave him a list of snowplow guys the city puts together every year.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Are you an employee or an independent contractor? I think you're being pushed around and you're letting him get away with it.

Just say no.

7. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I am the owner of the company, I know what you are saying and the way you put it is simple and to the point and I do feel like I am being pushed around.