1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some fast wiring help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fordtruck661, Dec 6, 2011.

1. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi guys I just finished hooking up all my plow wiring and mounts and found that when i plug everything in that when I try to move the plow the blinkers shut off and I also found that my main ground wire that goes to the pump motor gets very hot. Oh and the plow will not move at all. Need some help

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. fordtruck661

from CT

know I have it so if i put a tester on the + and - on the motor it will move the plow but the ground is still getting so hot it started smoking but this is only at the connection from the plow to the truck.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Assuming you have your positive and negative hooked up right then I would say you have a ground somewhere. I would check your connections for a ground and maybe test your plow pump.

4. fordtruck661

from CT

well the plug only lets you put it in one way and looking at the wires they both match up and for my last post I can get the motor to work. Would a bad motor cause the ground to get that hot??

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Connect a jumper cable from your ground on the motor to the ground on your battery. Then try it and see if it acts normal. It sounds like there is a bad ground connection somewhere.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What did you end up using for an accessory power? Is this a relay system or do you have an ISO module system?

7. fordtruck661

from CT

I just used one of the fuses that turn on with the truck for the accessory power. and it is the 4 port Isolation Module and it also has a relay

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Relay, or Solenoid that connects to the battery and your control harness?

9. fordtruck661

from CT

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm fairly confident in saying that you've crossed something some where within your install. The fact that your turn signals fail to work after engaging the plow....something isn't right. For the most part they are 2 totally different systems in one.

Have you researched which socket you used within your fuse panel?

11. fordtruck661

from CT

ok what would you say I crossed and I used the fuse for the "ignition run power feed"

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's the question of the hour........

Start from the obvious points. As PlowGuy43 had mentioned, run a set of jumper cables or leads straight from your battery to your appropriate terminals on the plow motor, and try and run the plow. What happens?

13. fordtruck661

from CT

I think you guys are right about the ground being bad I hooked it fast to see if it would work and it seemed to work. Im going to work with it more tomorrow. I hope I dont have to replace both wires but oh well Thanks for all the help