1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some bidding help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by My bowtie, Jul 31, 2008.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I need help on bidding a HA. Its in Upstate NY. The road is 60' wide by 6/10's of a mile long. It's a dirt/gravle road. This is plowing and sanding the road only. The 15 houses need to hire me(or whoever) seperatly. It has a trigger of 2". The HA wants a per plow/sanding price. The bill will be sent to the HA's lawyer who handles the escrow account.

I have a 07 2500 chevy diesel with a 8' hiniker plow. I plan on buying a sander for the truck(8' bed).

1. Am i nuts to plow this with my current rig?
    2. What to charge for plowing?
    3. what to charge for sanding?
    4. Am I nuts to get involved with a HA?

If this helps...I may be buying a lot, and this would more then pay the HA dues.

2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

You have the perfect rig for that. Roads are easy, and are great if you can get them.

60 feet wide? Really? No matter. It's just windrowing then handling the entrance and cul de sac assuming they have one. Dead ends are better.

I'd stay away from a package deal for the resis....it never pans out in my opinion, but offer a good price on the resis if you get the common road.

Nothing at all wrong with H.A.'s. It's usually a group of 3-4 individuals that do it because no one else will or maybe even just two people on a 15 member deal.

They are usually the picky ones that are in charge too.
  3. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

The road is made to town specs. It is 60' ditch to ditch which will leave me pleanty of room to put alot of snow on those yrs we get hammered...which hasnt happened in 4 yrs..
    It is not a cul de sac. It has 2 enterances. The roud is "U" shaped...
    Any pricing help would be great..................ussmileyflag
  4. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Your truck and plow are perfect for that road!:gunsfiring:
  6. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys..I was confident my truck/plow was ok..
    This would be my first large account.
    Anyone give a guess on how long it would take? Say a 6-8" snowfall????
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

wouldnt take too long if your plowing powder. if its sleet its gonna take a while.
  8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

personally i would charge $275 push $275 salt. no sand (just 'cause i dont use sand) and it would take less than 1.5hrs to do and do a good job i would think

9. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Thats about what i was thinking of bidding per push..The sanding I dont have a clue...The bid requires a sand/salt mix. Anyone else want to chime in??ussmileyflag
  10. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I typically charge the same price to apply salt as I do to plow, so if it's $100 per push, it's an extra $100 to salt. I charge less to use mix, typically anywhere from 20%-40% less than the straight salt price.

Up here, mix runs about 50% the cost of straight salt, but you should check w/your local distributor.