1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some advise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ulbhunter, Dec 9, 2007.

1. ulbhunter

ulbhunter Junior Member

I am located in central Oklahoma and have been doing snow removal for a couple of years ( not that we get much here). I have sufficent equipment to handle the few snow events we get but I need some ideas on how I should deal with the more common ice events that we have here.
    I have searched and have not found the info I am looking for. I do not have any form of spreader and the only source of ice melt that I know of is lowes/home depot. I do however have an unlimited and free source for sand. From reading the posts, I get the feeling that sand is not preferred due to the clean up in the spring. Clean up will not be a issue for me because the majority of my clients are oil field companies and the parking lots always have dirt.

I do have sprayers and may have a source for free/cheap brine (used in the oil field).

Given my situation, what would you recommend for equipment needs and method of dealing with ice events in my area?

Thanks in advance
  2. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I used to plow for the town, and we never ever put salt down on dirt roads. Big no-no. You want that dirt to stay frozen, if you salt it, it will turn into mud. Use only sand on that.....
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If your accounts are all dirt or gravel, use sand or a sand/salt mix. Salt in the mix is just to keep the sand from clumping (freezing), although it does have the added benefit of melting the ice just a little to give the sand something to hold it.
  4. ulbhunter

ulbhunter Junior Member

I am sorry, wasn't clear. All lots are concrete. I was trying to say that dirt on top of the paving was a common occurance so clean up was not an issue. Do have a hospital that the lots are either asphalt or concrete if that makes a difference.

Thanks again
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Makes a lot of difference. With a hospital, you want to be careful due to liability. They should specify what they expect in their Request For Proposal; but generally a hospital is going to have a zero tolerance for snow/ice and keeping entrances clear. I'd recommend pretreating the area with a treated salt, ideally. Depending on the size of the area(s) to be salted/sanded, you might get away with a tailgate unit.

On areas other than the hospitals, you may be able to use a brine since you already have the spray units, but you run the risk of over-applying and damage to the surface.

Regardless, you'll be better off if you can pretreat the areas rather than waiting until after the ice forms.
  6. Rgory

Rgory Member

If you feel salt maybe a viable option, as it sounds that it may, and you feel bulk material isnt readily an option you may want to look into a buzz box. You load bagged salt (42 bags to be exact) into the machine and while spreading it pushes the bags forward, slicing the bags and spreading the salt and repeating.

I have included a link to their website and will let you decide for yourself.

If you dont think you need to put down that much salt you may want to consider a simple tailgate salter/sander. The difference with those is you will be re-loading them quite often.