1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TJ Fed, Dec 21, 2009.

1. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

Ok ive plowed snow before but only in large lots with asphalt. I know when doing them you dont have to worry about using the plow shoes since its ok for the cutting edge to be just scraping the asphalt clean. Now the reason I ask this question is ive never plowed concrete drives before since all the drives were I live at are very long asphalt like mine is. So heres the question how do I keep from chipping or messing up someones concrete driveway. Logic tells me the if I drop my blade on the driveway put it in float mode and start pushing forward there is going to be some nasty scrape marks on peoples driveways and some very unhappy people. Thanks TJ

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Logic should also tell you to look in the search bar. Probably 90% of the people on here will tell you the same thing. Throw the plow shoes away. They are usless. Even if you have the shoes on you will leave marks on the concrete from the shoes as well.

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If its that much concern to you or your customers, you need to put a urethane cutting edge on your plow. Take the plow shoes off, they can scratch just as eaily as the edge itself.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would bet 95% of the people on here do not use shoes.

5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we have a set of shoes for every plow. and ill tell you now. they have never been used. even on gravel and stone.

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

if your plowing commercial then you dont want them on, becuz u wanna take as much snow as possible. but if your doing your street then i would put them on becasue it saves the the cutting edge

7. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

So what would be the trick to plowing a concrete driveway with the steel cutting edge already on my plow im only plowing 1 concrete driveway this year my other lots and driveway are asphalt. Should I just keep the blade like an inch off the driveway or would backdragging the driveway be a better choice.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You'll have an ice packed mess if you leave it up an inch?.....unless its decorative (stamped concrete) I would just drop er to the ground and go. Otherwise (like i said before) the only way to eliminate possible sratching is a urethane edge. If these people cant understand that you may scuff it up a little, than dont do the drive unless you change the edge.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

most of these driveways will have rust spots on them from all the rust buckets sitting on it. Don't worry about it.

10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

your worrying way too much. drop the plow and go. you'll be fine. your not going to screw it up

11. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

Thanks guys ya I just had the concern of really messing up a driveway but ill find out soon enough. Im not gonna change the edge since most of the stuff im doing is commercial. I might get to try it out here in a few days since we are in for some snow according to the forcast and the weather man.