1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some advice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by january, Feb 5, 2009.

1. january

january Junior Member

dropped my plow (sno way) and now it wont do anything. when I use the remote, it only clicks. Anybody know whats up?
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like its getting power to the solenoid (if so equipped) but not past it. Could be solenoid.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

jump the 2 large posts on the solenoid w/ a screwdriver. does the motor run then?
  4. january

january Junior Member

still helpless

tried screwdriver on posts nothing. put it on smaller posts at bottom of solenoid and blew fuse. bought new solenoid and fuse. now no click at all and blade is frozen. no noise, no movement.
  5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

First check all grounds make sure they are on tight, Check the motor, try to jump it!
  6. january

january Junior Member

had a "meyers" plow friend check it and doesnt make sense to him either. guess I have to seek a sno way dealer thanx and lots of success to all!
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take set of jumper cable from the batt to the + and- on the plow motor. motor run?
  8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

try the jumper cable trick. and check your grounds. If that doesnt work, it could be your motor
  9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

do you have a wireless controller or the newer button style wired? If wired you can hook it directly to the wire leading into the plow itself. If wireless are you sure it's got batteris and freq tuned. Fluid filled properly? Loose or rusty ground.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put new batteries in the remote.
    Also try asking on the Sno-Way forum. Miht get more responses there.
  11. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Check your plug ends for corrosion and to make sure they are fully seated. Maybe there is a single wire that came unseated from the plug.
  12. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I have had similar problems. Best thing I ever bought was a test light from napa. Start at the battery and trace your way to the motor.
  13. january

january Junior Member

thanx for all your help

my buddy tested everything from the battery to the motor /w his test light and everything came up hot. I dont know enough about it but that is not supposed to be happening. I made an appmnt at the snoway dealer. Ill post what was wrong when we figure it out.
  14. january

january Junior Member

hey guys, remember me? I was the one w/ the dead and frozen snoway plow. Turns out it was the motor, however I had to replace the control box too because when I tried to bypass the solenoid w/a screwdriver I also touched the bottom two screws and killed the whole thing. what should have cost only 200.00 ended up costing 800.00. My advice....Don't touch anything that you don't really know about, especially when there is a computer involved!!! Thanx again for all of your help. you guys are great.have a great summer!
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Very costly lesson but at least it works again.
  16. january

january Junior Member

true that

Hind sight is 20-20. Had I known we wouldn't see snow again, I would have stored the plow and taken it in in the fall. Or I would have paid more attention to what you guys were telling me and not tried to bypass the screws that weren't mentioned.You are right, very costly!!! Lesson learned. Also I messed up my new truck, because I had to use staps to hold it up in order to get it to the shop because it was frozen so I couldn't get the safety bar to hold it 4 me.That caused a big problem. It bent the whole front end. Now the hood latch had to be bent so that the hood will close. Now my headlights and hood have problems staying in place!!! Do you believe it? I think someone is trying to tell me something!!! I hope things have gone better 4 you this season.