1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, May 27, 2008.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys. This was my first year plowing snow, and it was a blast!!!!!!:bluebounc All I had this year was 12 driveways. I have some opportunities for plowing some commercial lots this year. Two of the possible lots are grocery stores, which would need to be plowed with the storm. I can figure out the price for plowing a simple 1-3 inch storm. But the part that has me stumped, is how do you charge for clearing "lanes" during an all day storm? Do you charge by the hour? Or a certain amount each time? I could use some suggestions on this.

The other thing is, I think I can figure out the normal salting part, like a price per bag applied. But how do you charge for "spot salting" and "spot plowing" for cleaning up after a storm? Is that a certain amount per hour as well or just a certain price? I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

P.S. I will hopefully be getting another truck so don't look at my signature and think that I'm going to get in over my head.

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Anyone can chime in here...... I'd appreciate it.

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would charge the store per hour on the lanes and a minimum time for each appearance. The salting would be per hundred weight and a certain minimum amount for an appearance.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever thought about giving them a seasonal price on plowing and just the salt is an additional cost, Most buisiness's like seasonal prices because they can budget very easily and you also have money coming in regularly all winter which is nice. On a real bad winter you don't make as much but on the light winters you still get paid, it all averages out in the end.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

That's what I thought. I just need to figure out my costs and figure out my rates and stuff. Thanks for your help.

6. Brant'sLawnCare

I see your point. I would do this but, with the winters we have in WI, it's either you get dumped on, or you don't! lol Know what I mean? I'm going to try and keep most of my accounts per push, but if someone asks about seasonal, then I will give them a price. Around here, per push is the most common. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Anyone else have anything?

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Charge on a per push basis and then just figure out a "hourly" price for clean-ups. I usually charge half a full push price to come back and lean up on my commercial accounts.

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Ok, thanks. I figured that an hourly rate with a minimum price would work out best, but just thought I'd ask.