1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newkidonthebloc, Dec 9, 2003.

1. newkidonthebloc

newkidonthebloc Junior Member

I am looking to purchase an F250 diesel - with either a boss or a meyers plow. Dealer told me it would be 3-4 weeks before the plow could be installed. Does this sound at all reasonable to you guys? My response to him was - if it takes that long - then maybe I should wait until summer to consider buying the truck. He's supposed to get back to me. Would you continue to deal with this dealership - or look elsewhere?? :confused:

2. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I know this is a busy season for the snow industry, but weeks!? Our local shop is open late when it's busy and 24hrs during snow events as are many other dealers. I would call other Ford dealers and plow installers to set up the install myself. Tell him 3 weeks is OK but he'll need to wait 6 weeks for payment! LOL!

3. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

newkid........

Considering where you live (Va.), maybe getting a plow installed isn't such a big deal as here in up-state NY. Maybe that's why it would take "weeks" :( Although, the salesman may really want to sell the truck, but doesn't want to have to deal with any warranty issues related to snow plowing. If you push the issue to get the plow installed, you may end up with something not getting installed right. Usually, a dealer can put more pressure on an installer than a normal walk-in-the-door customer to get a job done. Or, you could try the old "if-you-want-to sell-me-that-truck-you'll-get-the-plow-on-ASAP routine.

Good luck :)

4. North Country

I didn't pay attention to the location.....That would make a difference, probably not as much money, time or effort spent on the snow industry in VA. Good point porkhead1.

5. newkidonthebloc

i have a place in upstate new york and could always take the truck there for an install - but my position is if I have to go to new york to get a plow installed - then maybe that's where i should buy the truck too.

6. North Country

I wouldn't suggest coming all the way up here to buy, unless you come up here anyway because of your other residence. If you did buy up north you would have better communication and service from the dealers here regarding snow. Maybe even better selection and pricing? because it is a major selling point. But watch out for taxes and transportation plates or fees, NY is notorious for sucking every last $ out of you! - michael

7. newkidonthebloc

if it's anything like the real estate taxes that I pay on my vacation home in New York - I know all too well what you mean about sucking the money..........I continually get shocked each year with the tax increases that are put in place up there. Don't know how you guys make ends meet.

8. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

New kid where in VA are you? i know a couple good dealers around DC area.

9. newkidonthebloc

I'm about an hour south of DC..........what dealers???? Thanks !purplebou

10. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

R&B Steel 301-770-0663 big outfit good to deal with
    Crest Truck Equip 800-468-9290
    Lawn and Power Equip 301-652-5075
    Kolher Equip 301-249-2200

I have bought stuff from all these places
    Hope this helps do your self a favor and stay away from meyers

Brian