Snow Plowing Forum banner

need some advice

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  R.J.S. SNOWPLOW 
#1 ·
i am going to buy a salt dogg vbox poly sphe 1500 (1.5 yarder) or the sphe 2000 (2 yarder)

the question is what size of truck would i need and be legal

for the 1500 i would only put 1 ton in it

for the 2000 i would put 2 tons in it

thankx

#2 ·
You need to check the CGVW on any truck you might look at. This number gives you the "legal" weight you would be able to carry including the truck. We have a 06 F250 with 2 extra leaf springs each side in the main set up and a 4 pack of helper springs and it holds our 2yrd poly v box loaded very well, there is no sag to it at all. I'm sure it over loaded per the stupid sticker but the truck handles well, brakes well and drives well. I would say at least a 3/4 ton but even then it needs beefed up.

#3 ·
Regarding your question of what truck you need to be legal - you need to do some research on your states weight laws. Each state can be a little different. Some go by manufactures GVWR, some by vehicle type etc. Once you figure that out its just doing the math - weight of truck, equipment, load must be equal or less than legal limit.

#4 ·
RJS just like in past threads a lot of guys including myself would advise strongly against putting the Vbox in your 1500 even if its only a 1.5 yarder. Cops around here are starting to crack down and I cant think of a bigger flag than a 1/2 ton with a v box and plow.

Even with a 2500 after the weight of the plow, salter, fuel, tools, salt you etc you won't be able to hold much legally and stay under the GVWR.

Will it handle it fine- more than likely but that doesnt matter once they bust out the scales.

#5 ·
williamoak;1321308 said:
rjs just like in past threads a lot of guys including myself would advise strongly against putting the vbox in your 1500 even if its only a 1.5 yarder. Cops around here are starting to crack down and i cant think of a bigger flag than a 1/2 ton with a v box and plow.

Even with a 2500 after the weight of the plow, salter, fuel, tools, salt you etc you won't be able to hold much legally and stay under the gvwr.

Will it handle it fine- mo
re than likely but that doesnt matter once they bust out the scales.
did you not read my post
i asked what truck do i need?
Not about my 1500 dodge

#8 ·
WilliamOak;1321308 said:
RJS just like in past threads a lot of guys including myself would advise strongly against putting the Vbox in your 1500 even if its only a 1.5 yarder. Cops around here are starting to crack down and I cant think of a bigger flag than a 1/2 ton with a v box and plow.

Even with a 2500 after the weight of the plow, salter, fuel, tools, salt you etc you won't be able to hold much legally and stay under the GVWR.

Will it handle it fine- more than likely but that doesnt matter once they bust out the scales.
im going to second that, cops around here are becoming d-bags. i have a cdl now and im still shaky about my 3/4 ton with just a plow and balest cause i know my trucks over on the rear with my weight!

#15 ·
Well RJS, I know a few have gave you shlt over the past year. Maybe including me. Here is what I suggest on a serious note.
Use the truck you have now. Get a Western Pro Flow or a similar model that can throw bulk. Line your bed and dump the salt in the bed and shovel it in.

This will save you money in the long run and after as much as you have put out in the last year or so you need to think about making some back. You need to think about cost-vs-income and once you are gaining on the income part then think about getting a 450/4500-550-5500 whatever.

From what you have posted and the amount you have put out you need to start gaining some of that back. A bigger truck will not equal more work. A fancy looking truck will not guarantee more work. Smart business sense and how you approach it is what will gain you more work and money in your pocket.

#16 · (Edited)
REAPER;1322061 said:
Well RJS, I know a few have gave you shlt over the past year. Maybe including me. Here is what I suggest on a serious note.
Use the truck you have now. Get a Western Pro Flow or a similar model that can throw bulk. Line your bed and dump the salt in the bed and shovel it in.

This will save you money in the long run and after as much as you have put out in the last year or so you need to think about making some back. You need to think about cost-vs-income and once you are gaining on the income part then think about getting a 450/4500-550-5500 whatever.

From what you have posted and the amount you have put out you need to start gaining some of that back. A bigger truck will not equal more work. A fancy looking truck will not guarantee more work. Smart business sense and how you approach it is what will gain you more work and money in your pocket.
i became a vendor for CVS AND CHICAGO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
I AM LOOKING TO BUILD A NEW TO ME TRUCK AND FOR WHAT I THINK I WILL BE GETTING NEXT SEASON I AM GOING TO BUY BIGGER EQUIPMENT THEN FIND A TRUCK THAT CAN HANDLE IT LEGALLY

MY DODGE RAM IS ALREADY SETUP AND HOPEFULLY WILL LAST ME 5 YEARS. PLEASE UNDERSTAND ANYTHING I AM TALKING ABOUT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY 95 DODGE RAM 1500.
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT

#17 ·
R.J.S. SNOWPLOW;1322425 said:
i became a vendor for CVS AND CHICAGO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
I AM LOOKING TO BUILD A NEW TO ME TRUCK AND FOR WHAT I THINK I WILL BE GETTING NEXT SEASON I AM GOING TO BUY BIGGER EQUIPMENT THEN FIND A TRUCK THAT CAN HANDLE IT LEGALLY

MY DODGE RAM IS ALREADY SETUP AND HOPEFULLY WILL LAST ME 5 YEARS. PLEASE UNDERSTAND ANYTHING I AM TALKING ABOUT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY 95 DODGE RAM 1500.
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT
Get a D plate and CDL. Maybe even take the bed off and bolt the v-box to the frame.
Good luck CPS plowing should be a good gig if you are able to keep up.

Not sure why you feel the need to use all caps. I know you weren't talking about the 1500

#18 ·
REAPER;1322453 said:
Get a D plate and CDL. Maybe even take the bed off and bolt the v-box to the frame.
Good luck CPS plowing should be a good gig if you are able to keep up.

Not sure why you feel the need to use all caps. I know you weren't talking about the 1500
sorry for all caps i just got kind of mad someone thought i was asking about my current truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.