1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some Advice on Wiring

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bruce'sEx, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'm sure i'm over thinking this, but right now I'm to tired to see the easy way to do this.

What I'm considering is

using a On-Off-On switch, with lights, and having it in On 1 - 2 lights on. On 2 - four lights on.

Going over it, I know I need some relay or something, for this to work.

Lights are wired in group of 2, with one power lead coming from the set of 2 lights. So there are 2 power leads being used.

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Use two relays. One relay for the (First ON) and the second relay for the (second ON). Pretty simple.
    T.J.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

A little more detail? other then saying use to relays, thats like saying just run the lead wires, and jump the second on to first in on position 2 which doesn't work since just means both leads end up with power in either on position

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

It is all in the switch you apply to what you want to do. You need a double position double throw switch with 6 terminals on the back.

Switch: The center need 12+ power (red tabs) on both sides for this to work.
    Follow the wiring diagram. When the switch is up both the blue tabs will feed power to the 85(coil power) side of the relays 1 and 2 (blue lines).

When the switch is down power will only go to 85(coil power) of relay 1 only form the orange wire/tab. This does work by the way.

Relay: 30 = power in from Battery
    86= ground
    85= coil side + from DPDT switch
    87= out to accessory/lights

I would use higher Amp relays than the 30/40 ones. Ebay has some 75 amp Bosch ones.

relay.GIF

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Sadly switch I was looking at is not a DPDT, it's a SPDT, Three blade + pilot lights.

I knew I forgot to add that, I know with a DPDT it's easy.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Then you would need 3 relays where two relays (these 2 relays would turn on all 4 lights) are conneted together at 85 from the swtich you have. Then the 1 relay by iteself to the other side of the switch in where that 1 relay just turns on two lights. Not really worth all of that when you can get a DPDT switch. Sorry I am not drawing this out in paint.
    T.J.

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Yeah don't need to draw it,
    I know what you mean. and basically it comes down to not worth the hassle. I was just hoping for a easy way I missed of doing it.

I almost wish there was a relay that I could have coil on send to two out leads. but when coil is off it only sent power to 1 of the leads.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

they do have relays like that at radio shack , but they arnt high amps

yuo can do it with ur switch , plus 2 relays... as long as on of the relays is a DT, meaning it has both 87 , and 87 a - which is a 5 pin set up

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your willing to use two relays it can be done, and with ONLY two relays and your SPDT switch. :nod:

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

really? even with the fact that it's a pilot light, that runs it's live power off the same terminal, depending on position of switch?

I can see it with no lights, but i keep picturing it and drawning it out and it works other then the fact that the pilot lights don't work like they should.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

An old stlye Dick Cepek Relay(color red) should do what you want. Google Dick Cepek relay.
    T.J.

12. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

This was my theory at one point

Example1.jpg

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

not a good way to wire it, it may work that way how ever your current(amps) from your light 2 will have to be supplyied from the switch? what the amp rating on the switch?

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i know how to do it very simple, but i cant attach the file for some reason, give me your email and i will send it

15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well it's not spot lights, or work lights, it's a set of leds, that have very low amp draw.

I've had 2 of the lights hooked to switch for over a year, and no problem with no relay on a truck.
    switch is rated for 25a at 12v Dc

one of the lights pull from 0.2 amps to max 0.5 amps.

so figure max, 4x 0.5 = 2.0 amps

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  16. elite1msmith

from chicago

then the way that you have there will work just fine, personaly i would wire it the other way, because if you ever changed your lights to a higher draw, then you would need a rewire, but thats just me , either way will work just fine

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

i might even be able to do it with just 1 relay , if your able to run each set of lights dirrectly off the switch power

18. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

That would be nice, but not sure you can cause of the switch. I know I will never change the lights. and if I did, It would likely onto another truck.

Switch
    http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/A-Rockers.pdf

it's the on-off-on with 2 red pilot lights,

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

yeds i can do it with only 1 relay... i have to run out, ill be back in a few hours and send you both wiring diagrams

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That bit of info would have been helpful from the beginning Bruce. You can run both pairs of lights and switch them exactly how you want (2 on or all 4 on you choice) without ANY relays at all.

You guys that are trying to use one of the relays to "isolate" the toggle switch trigger are making it harder than it needs to be in this specific circumstance. Don't need any relays for a .5 amp load, and you don't need any to operate the two pairs of lights separatly, even with a SPDT style switch.

Bruce, didn't you get my PM yesterday? :confused: