1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on this snowthrower

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Dubl0Vert, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    I've had this snow thrower for about 5 years and it has managed to crapout or be already broken during every significant storm. I have a two cycle single stage Toro that is an animal (it was supposed to be back up for this machine...but instead just does all the work). I do mostly private work but sub out to buddies when the snow really flies so I need to keep extra equipment handy. The machine is

Yard Machines (By MTD) 22" Snow Thrower 5.5HP (Tecumseh Snow King) Two-Stage
    One speed forward, weighted spool rear, serrated auger, chunky tires

On paper it looks good but the engine runs like poo, when the engine has managed to run longer than 10 minutes the impeller likes to clog and slip the belt till you clean it out....even with lubed auger/impeller/chute.

Anyone have any experience with this setup? Anyone had it work well? I am tempted to get a professional to look at it but I don't want to sink more money or time into it unless someone has good feedback on it. Seems like it should be a really good sidewalk machine to keep at the house:confused:

Any input appreciated...

2. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Here's a pic of the Toro...she's a beast. Can't find a pic of the other yet...

IMG_0173[1].jpg

3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Found a pic. My neighbor recommended repowering it with a Harbor
    Freight 6.5hp Greyhound (rebadged honda). His runs great and the motor is only $99.

IMG_0179[1].jpg

IMG_0181[1].jpg

4. leon

leon Senior Member

snowbloweritus

I would do a few things before you ship it to the smelter:

1.Buy one of clarences impeller kits for the snow fan

2. buy fresh marine or aviation gas and some sea foam
    a. drain the old fuel and the fuel bowl of old gas
    b. 5-30 oil change

3. new spark plug
    a. take off the blower housing and remove any mouse apartments
    b.new coil(it does not take much for them to go bad quickly
    c. compression test
    4.change the belt(s) and use the kevlar belts/green belts from TSC or NAPA
    run several tanks of fresh gas mixed with SeaFoam through the snow caster.

Worse comes to worse, the carburator should be tossed and a new one installed as this is the usual problem.

If you still like the blower replace the engine with a Hatz diesel or higher horsepower ready to install Honda that has a fuel shut off for the fuel tank as thta is a major issue with any engines with gum and varnish deposits whre the fuel can be shut off and run out every day. :mechanic:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. IsaacCarlson

IsaacCarlson Junior Member

Tecumseh engines have always given me problems. I end up removing the non-adjustable carb and installing a new one that can be tuned properly. I would just go with the new motor if I were you, as it would be more cost effective than doing all the other things

6. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

it's an mtd... throw it away, and get an ariens...or toro!!

7. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Glad you said that...I thought I was nuts...there IS NO adjustment on the carb.:realmad:

8. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

See post #2....and unfortunately I didn't win the pick six sooooooooo I gotta work with what I've got

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I wouldn't bother wasting money on repowering it until you figure out the impeller clogging issue. I think a clarence kit will help tremendously in that area.

10. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Leon or Mayhem...Have you ever put one of the Clarence kits on a plastic impeller? I'd love to do that upgrade but I'm worried it might snap the impeller or strip it out. The belt looks pretty stretched so I am grabbing another from Wally world this afternoon.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  11. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Go figure....I pulled it out of storage, put a drill/starter on it.....and it fires right up (I use StaBil in everything). It warmed up through the choke sequence just fine. Did an oil change, plug, tightened auger belt, and it seems to run Ok.

Engine runs a little rough with a miss (i get that big air pulse out of the exhaust) maybe 3 per 10 second interval. It might be a lean miss since the exhaust smells pretty clean, and its no where near the rich exhaust I get from the Toro....keep in mind its 58* here in Merryland. Throttle response is good, no stumbling when going to WOT, easy to restart warm or cold at this point.

Before I repower, I might take a run up to the local power equipment shop and see about the price of a carb with an adjustable high speed circuit so I can ritchen it up for cold weather use.

12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Nope, in fact I've never used one at all. The photo you poted sure looks like stamped steel augers. Those yellow things are plastic?

13. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

No, you're right, the Yellow Augers are steel. The Clarence kit mounts to the impeller behind the augers...which sadly is made of plastic. It seems really sturdy but Clarence's website doesn't recommend the kit for plastic impellers.

14. leon

leon Senior Member

impeller kit

The plastic impeller s do not have enough internal mass and strength for one of Clarences kits. The way they are made they appear to be injection molded plastic-the plastic impeller on my John deere front mounted 44 inch 2 stage does not appear to be very strong as it has thick impeller paddles, UGGGGHHHHH!!! time will tell if it survives the winter here though.

Thye plastic impeller is a compromise of sorts to reduce possible damage to the snow casters bearings and shell as the bearings are small sealed bearings AND
    There is no gearbox to take power from V belt with an oversized pulley diect coupled to the impeller shaft. The two shear bolts in the impeller shaft have me wondering!!??????
    UUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Easier to buy a small molded plastic impeller and build impellers for the high end units the build for Kubota JD and others

Of course RAD loves JD and every other builer they contract to build attachments for!!!!!

UUUUGGGHHHH!!!!, You would think for the $1,400 USD or so that I shelled out for the snow blower when I bought the new mule the bearings would have been greasable!!!!!, and no, I could not afford a better upgrade. A lot of JD owners are happy with the 44 inch snow caster and the LA115 though and this winter will be my first with it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  15. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Wow! I hope JD thought that one through..... I'm curious to see how it does for you this winter. I see what you mean about the compromise between weight and bearing longevity....still sucks to have a plastic impeller and non-serviceable components in a product that you hope to pass on to your grand kids.

16. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I really need to take this computer out of my shop....

17. IsaacCarlson

IsaacCarlson Junior Member

John deere has been getting cheaper and cheaper in the recent years. There was a time when I would have bought a john deere without thinking of any other brand......not anymore.

There are now much better mfgs than john deere....

18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

as stated elsewhere...silicone is a snowblowers best friend....a good coat of silicone will reduce the hp need

19. toroman1992

toroman1992 Junior Member

AMEN! Toro all the way!

20. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

You said it, my Toro is the workhorse!