1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some advice on technique

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeRi24, Dec 6, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

in my area, it is a common and appropriate practice to pike snow off to the side at the end of the driveway. in the image shown below, I want to take the the snow from the green area and put it in the blue area. problem is, is that on all the driveways around here, there is a pretty good size lip (or apron i guess you could call it) with the curb that i have to go up and over. my plow is always catching and i end up leaving most of the snow in the driveway rather than where I want it. I know its possible to do because everyone else in the area does it. is there a particular technique here that I'm missing? thanks in advance for the help!

untitled.JPG

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

if you have your plow parallel to this lip than when you get there you should be able to lift your blade over and get the majority of the snow over it.

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Well I don't really do residential but w/ commercial the curbs can be a bit high sometimes...and depending the angle...I would maybe suggest first getting the truck on more of an angle (almost parallel to the road curb, but not too much) as you drive in slowly angle the blade to match the angle on the end of the drive (you can sometimes almost feel for the curb...but do it slowly because nobody wants their curbs all chewed up) and then slowly raise the blade as you drive in towards the pile.

Also, if you have a few feet of drive (the apron) that's pitched...clear as much as you can and then grab that bit of residual snow left behind (the right side that the blade went right over, because of the slope)and back drag it almost on the roads edge and repeat the parallel to the road thing ...
    (did that make sense?) :dizzy:

--- OR ---
    Be like most guys (who won't admit it) and pull that last bit into the road and blow it up over the curb as you are heading out...don't leave a mess behind and don't get caught or else :gunsfiring:

4. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

we dont pile there. tears up turf and blocks visability. try pushing in the road to the left of drive then back up and hit it at 10mph with blade angled it will throw the snow up the wind row and not make a pile. if theres not enough room push the snow down the road past the drive and attack it at a right angle to the curb and push it up that way.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I was just going to suggest basically the same thing. take it out a little further, down the street a bit further, then arc the plow to the right and curve it up. If you are in heavier traffic situations, many just push the snow up onto the lawn (being sure to lift ahead just a bit) right at the end of the drive, without even going out into the road. When done right, this leaves no more of a mess, but save alot of time.

6. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov Junior Member

Windrowing

I think this was said befor but i tend to put the pile down the street and windrow the pile up and past up the curb. It is better then making a pile on the corners.

You have to pull the snow down the driveway a little more and then move it past the driveway corners.

Vance

7. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov Junior Member

See Picture

Plow.JPG

Wow, i said pice, but i ment pile

Plow.JPG

8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

come away from the curb on the second pass, turn the plow hard right, then put the truck on and angle so THE PLOW is straight with the curb, bump the plow up so you don't lay the sod over and give it a push

9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I think I got it......after looking out my window, it looks like I'll be going out again later tonight. I'll give it a try!

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

wow other people do that. I havn,t seen any one use that technique around here they just push up the corner take sod with it and leave snow in curb line. guy's on plow site know whats what!