1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on Mid-Weight plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cti531, Aug 20, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

This spring I got an awesome deal on an almost new 7' - 6" Western Mid-Weight plow. It was bought brand new by a friend last winter and used only 3 or 4 times. Anyway my plan was to put it on my 2001 Tahoe however since then I have found a Chevy 2500HD and will be plowing with that instead.

From my understanding the mid-weight plow was basically made for 1/2 ton trucks. So is it a waste to put this plow on that truck? Do you think I should look for a 8' Pro Plow instead and try to sell my Mid-Weight.

Basically, I'm asking some of the plowing veterans out there what they would do if they were in this situation?

Thanks!

2. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

The mid-weight is fine for light commercial plowing. If you are out all night when is snows perhaps a Pro-plus or a v-plow would be better. Keep in mind the mount and wiring are the same for all the straight blades, therefore you could always trade up to a bigger straight blade and not have to do a thing to the truck side.

3. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

Hey If your interested in a 8 foot pro I have one, I've been looking to trade for a 7 1/2 footer. I had a 06 ram with the 8 on it until it was totalled this summer. I came across a deal on a gmc 1500 and I'm sure the 8 is a lil to heavy for it! I'm just about 45 mins south of rockford so give me a call if interested I can take some pics of it and send them to ya. 815-508-9893 thanks Chad I'm on vacation this week so call anytime.

4. cti531

cti531 Member

Yeah, I have pretty much decided on getting an 8' plow. The best offer I received for mine so far was $2500 but I turned them down. It just pains me to let this thing go for that! I could damn near market this thing as a new plow. It was $4500 less than a year ago and barely used. Anyway I am supposed to go look at an 8' Ultramount in Madison but just got too busy this week. How old is your plow? Condition? Is it the Ultramount? Does it have the Nighthawk lights?

5. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I don't blame ya, A 3/4 ton will have no issue with a 8. Mine is an ultramount it's a 50th ann so I wanna say it's a 02 model. Has the normal rust where paint has peeled no holes or anything like that. I wish I had the night hawks but just has the ol plain jane's. I'm still up if you wanna call to discuss anything.

6. cti531

cti531 Member

Was actually getting ready to retire for the night when I seen my e-mail with your response. I'll be totally honest with you. The one is Madison (It's on Craigslist) is an '04 model and I can get it for $1500. It is coming off the same truck as mine (1 year difference) so all the mounts would come with it. I know that I can get at least $2500 out of mine so if you were looking for a trade it probably isn't going to work unless you were going to kick in some extra.

Quick story...the last guy who inquired here locally told me I was crazy to want more for my 7.5 than his 8'. Yes his was an 8' plow (uni-mount not even an ultra) but it was 10 years old and beat to hell and mine is brand new. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I just like to be upfront with people on what I'm expecting.

7. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

Give me a call tomorrow. I'll discuss it with my partner. maybe we can work out a deal with some cash, It's in decent shape outside the lil rust. I have a guy who sand blasts and powder coats so I maybe able to sweeten the pot some like that also. Had a new cutting edge on it last season to that's in really good shape. Thanks again for being upfront, honest is best saves time and BS! lol I'll try to run over to the shop and shoot some pics for you.

8. cti531

cti531 Member

9. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

Hey pics sent to your email. Sorry they were taken with a phone so had to send individually.

10. upsdrivr1

upsdrivr1 Junior Member

Hey Chad, I'm sorry if I "left a bad taste in your mouth" about offering to trade you plows. I think you actually contacted me about it didn't you? You must be pretty good at judging peoples equipment thru pics if my plow "is beat all to hell. It has a bit of surface rust on it, and that is all. You might want to bone up on your plow knowledge if you can't tell the difference between a uni-mount and an Ultramount... Good luck finding someone to trade though. I thought you would have bought that plow in Madison already as it was such a good deal!

11. cti531

cti531 Member

Dude what the hell are you talking about? I think you are mistaken because I wasn't even refering to you. Did you happen to see the part where it said "LOCALLY"? Is yours a uni-mount? Do I even know how old it is? NO!!! I have probably spoke with about 7 or 8 different guys and yes now that you mention it, I'm getting frusterated when d-bags like you act like there is no difference between a plow that is basically new and one that is 8 years old. Especially when they feel the need to get involved in a conversation that had nothing to do with them.

And since it is so important to you, unfortunatley I haven't had the time to get out to Madison this week and if I were to find a better deal in the mean time...well guess what??? I'd take it! Is it a crime to keep looking? I told him if he sells it before I can get out there...no sweat.