1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some advice on e60

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cherokeeman01, Nov 30, 2010.

1. cherokeeman01

cherokeeman01 Junior Member

hello,i was on craigslist and found what was listed as a e47 pump for 175.00.when i met the kid to look at it it turned out to be a e60.I ended up giving him 100.00 for it! when i got it home i noticed that the bottom lug is cracked.Im a welder by trade and was wondering if anyones had luck welding crackes up? I know its aluminum,and you gotta v the crack out and preheat it.just wanting to know if its been done.thanks....

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Yes it can be repaired , done it many times .

Remove everything from the sump base before welding it up and you will be fine.

You "stole" that pump , i'm jealous.....

TOM

3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Any idea what alloy of aluminum these are? I've got an E60 here that has a small crack where it's weeping too. I should get a seal/rebuild kit for it so I can strip it down and weld it.

Now the dilemna, should I use my tig, or my spoolgun and mig it?...... LOL!!!

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

TIG :salute:

TOM

5. cherokeeman01

cherokeeman01 Junior Member

yea i know i stole it! it was on the youngstown (ohio) craigs list.I was really looking for a extra e47 as i have one on my cherokee! i saw it and was like ah man thats not a e47!!! I drove from lodi (ohio) about an hour and a half to get it and he said give me a 125 and i said 100.00!

6. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

I was just kidding with that, of course for this I'd use the tig. Biggest thing is getting it clean.....I'd try degreasing it, then when SWMBO is away, bake it in the oven for an hour or so to burn any oil out of the cracks and crevices.

I suspect it would be like some of the cracked dirtbike engine parts I repair now and then to work on. Bugger to get clean, but once you do, they tend to weld nicely.