1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on a new ATV

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MD Power Plow, Sep 27, 2005.

1. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

hello everyone

I am looking for some advice on buying a new ATV. The ATV will help on sidewalks and tight lots. Some of the questions I have
    1. what size motor / cc.
    2. brand and model
    3. Straight axel or independent suspension.
    4. fuel injection or not.

If anyone has any input please let me know I really need some advice.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

largest cc you can afford
    has to be 4x4
    make sure it has low range
    i have a yamaha wolverine 350 when the snow get heavey the quad bogs down . if i was going to do it again id buy something with at least 700cc

3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

John is right. Get the biggest one you can afford. Also, it MUST be a 4X4 and you should make sure it has a low range AND a differential locker. The big bore machines usually have everything I just said but you must check to make sure. EFI is nice but not essential. My pick would be the Yamaha Grizzly or the Suzuki King Quad.
  4. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

800 efi polaris sportsman
  5. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

The best part about EFI is that they start quickly no matter the weather.

Unlike my Sportsman 600 twin (w/carb) which is a cold blooded beast.

The bigger the bike the better it will plow, make sure it a has 4 wheel drive.

Independent suspension vs. strait axle is a matter of preference.
    I like the independent the best. Better ride, all the rubber is in contact with the ground (potholes etc.)

DSC00054 (Small)2.jpg

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

go with a Honda 500cc Foreman ES if you want something that will last.. i have plowed with one before i was really happy. first gear has a lot of power.i also own one but i do not plow with it just ride it. :waving:
  7. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I have to agree with True Turf. Honda's are almost bomb proof. Ive had a few various quads and the honda's seem to hold up the best. Never plowed with any but ran them all hard. 500cc seems like plenty of motor too. You wont be pushing 12" so I really dont think you need a 700 or 800. 500 will consume less fuel too.
  8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have run Polaris for about 7 years now. I started out with 400 two strokes and still have them. They start when nothing else will. The 500 workes pretty well for plowing also. I understand that the 700 is breaking belts when you plow or really get on them because of too much power. The heavier the machine the less slipage BUT if you get it stuck the harder it is to handle by hand. Independent suspension is nice to ride but it doesn't always provide the traction that strait axles do. Just make sure to buy something with an automatic tranny or belt drive like polaris has. It sux shifting gears all the time while plowing. If you are really going to put some seat time in you will have less adjusting to do to the ATV than the plow. You will have to get special cutting edges, lift the plow with a winch, wire the winch to a thumb switch, etc. etc.

Good luck
  9. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Thank everyone for all your input so far this has been very helpful, If anyone has pic's of there ATV setup I would like to see them and of the plows you are using "state, v plow, or std."