1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need snowplowing Ins

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by The Hammer, Sep 8, 2003.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer Junior Member
    from NY

I own a snowplowing company and it seems impossible to get ins, I have 5 loaders and 6 pickups. I take care of a few major businesses in town and my current company no longer carries insurance. Any thoughts can someone share there company names???

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Alot of Plowsite members said that they have insurance through Erie Insurance. Just about every of them said that Erie Ins. has reasonable rates and had no problem with them.

3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I have mine through Farm & Family Insurance in Glenmont ,NY.Rates are reasonable, and they have multiple payment opotions if you need them.(monthly,quarterly, or by the year)

Dan

4. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We are currently with United Fire Group. I don't know if they are in NY or not. I have found it to be really beneficial over the years to have an independent insurance agent that I work with. They do the legwork in finding the coverage we need, and shop our policy every year to be sure we are getting the best deal for the best coverage. Also, as insurance companies stop covering for certain kinds of work, requiring us to change insurance carriers, I still keep my same agent that I have had for ten years - she understands our business and knows what we need, instead of having to forge new relationships with each carrier change.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Welcome to Plowsite!

I believe NY has something similar to the Farm Bureau that we have here, and the Farm Family Insurance companies that work with that. Find them in NY & you should be set. Try using the Search button in the top right of your screen, as I believe NY Plowsiters have posted about them before. Good luck!

I had posted that on the other thread before I saw you double posted. Do the search or contact DanG for contact info for Farm Family.

6. I'm in the same situation as you, Hammer. Last year I tried Farm Bureau and they will not write snow plowing alone, like most others. Someone here in NY state must have an agent that can help with commercial (not residential) snowplowing. I can't believe that everyone that plows large commercial lots has another business that they can just add plowing onto. Getting the proper Insurance has been by far the greatest challenge I've had so far in the snow biz.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Middlesex Mutual Assurance, just not sure they are in your area. If you are considering Allstate, you will want to check out the horror stories in Reader's Digest. I think it was Nov '02.

8. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

BRL is right, definitely check out Farm family, I did and recently got a million dollar policy and commericial auto insurance for 3 hundred dollars cheaper then what I was paying for just a commercial auto policy.
    Thanks again BRL, you were a great help!!!!

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks keep names coming I'll try them till I get it!

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You're welcome beherit. That's what this site is all about.

Only problem with FF is you need to have a core business in the green industry or farming in some way. For those in that situation, the search usually stops with them.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  11. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Gents, I am in saratoga springs also, Look into dryden mutual ins. My agents office is in glens falls. My insurance is also rated for landscape work. I pay about 1100 a year. Let me know if you want the phone number I will dig it up

Rick

12. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

farm family ins.

Hey guys,

After reading that a lot of people have farm family, I decided to try them, because I really hated my ins co. They quoted me $500 more per year with 3 vehicles @ $500,000 lib, than my current policy with 1 vehicle @ $100,000 lib. Needless to say, I am going down to sign the papers next week. It is about an hour or so away, but it is worth it, because the agent was very easy to deal with, and the good rates.

Jamie
    Snow Shark Winter Management

13. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Does anyone know if farm family is in Delaware? Or how I can find out? I have not had much success with the insurance agents around here. I have had two that actually worked a little with me, but it is not looking good. I need to have a one mil gl policy by Oct.2 or I stand to loose a couple good contracts I got pending insurance verification.

Ray

14. Mick

from Maine

15. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Thanks Mick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D I will start calling the numbers in the morning.:drinkup:

Ray

16. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I can't find insurance either. I have it for landscaping, but I can't find anyone that will insure plowing. They all look at me like I am retarted or crazy when I ask about a gl ins policy for plowing. Many agents have even told me that it doesn't even exist. They say that no one will insure a snow plower. I live in Michigan, any leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!MIcah

:cry:

17. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I know that Allstate doesn't cover plowing. State Farm hassled me when I called for a quote about plowing. I do know Safeco covers plowing. I have them now, but they are a little pricey. But I'm pretty sure they are nation-wide. It seems that most regular insurance cos don't cover plowing. You have to look for cos that are strictly commercial. I imagine somebody on this website can help you, cause there are a lot of plowers in Mi.

18. Mick

from Maine

micah79, I was thinking about why you would be having a hard time getting GL insurance. I checked your profile and age shouldn't be a problem. A lot of times, if you under 21 they won't want to write a policy. There are only three other things I can think of that would be a problem. You're might be asking the wrong type of agent. Since you have insurance for landscaping, that shouldn't be it. Another might be that you have no history of plowing snow. A lot of companies are not willing to write new policies. The last thing is having a record of damage claims. If you've had a claim against your GL, you will likely get cancelled or not renewed.

19. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Mick,

Does that really happen if you put in a 1 claim? How is anyone supposed to get insurance if they, say, have a spell of bad luck? I had two leaf blowers and a trimmer stolen from my trailer. My ins co gave me so much hassle, I just told them to forget it, and I would buy some new stuff. After my deductable, and figuring the age of the equipment, it would just be easier to buy new ones. Anyway, I thought that was what ins cos are for???

20. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I have never made a claim, but maybe its cause I'm new to snow insurance. It just seems that someone must write policies to new cutomers, or else nobody would ever get started. Insurance companies aren't cool.