1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need second truck advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Logans4season, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Logans4season

Logans4season Junior Member

This is my second year plowing. Have 2007 2500hd with 8.2 v plow. Have just added 10 gas stations this year. Have 25 residential customers. Do I buy a plow truck for $5k to $6k or invest in something better. I need a truck for landscaping next year as I have bought another company that increase my customers by 40%.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy it mow if its in good shape,You need a backup just in case,
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a good reliable and dependable truck if you can cash flow it now. No sense in spending a little bit now to have to buy something better in the spring anyway.

If you haven't looked at the Ohio Auto Warehouse stuff that Buswell linked to, be very careful. I've looked at 3 vehicles there and they're better than most about hiding issues and fast talking.

The second truck seems like it would be decent, though. No way I'd pay 22K for an 01/02 dump truck, even if it does have the "allmighty" 7.3
  5. Buswell Forest

from NH

It's a low mile mile F550 4x4 with the 7.3. Worth every dime if the rust isn't creeping up on it.
  6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The F550 is a stick, its listed as an automatic but they show the gear shift in pictures.
  7. Buswell Forest

from NH

Truth be told, I think I would prefer a stick in that truck...the 4 speed autos in those years are weak. I know, I had mine die 2 times..
    Plowing with a stick isn't a lot of fun, but neither is replacing a transmission every 20k miles..
  8. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

I would get a 2nd truck, even newer ones can have problems, and given the fact you are going a high number of gas stations that have decent vehicle traffic you could be involved in a crash putting your truck OOS evenif not your fault.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Get what you can afford but make sure it is something decent. I bought an 04 f 250 with an 8.5 plow and a v10 last year for 13000. Only had 60k miles. There are good deals out there just have to search.
  10. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Thats a nice low milage F550. Since you have a 40% increase in clientel i think it would pay to by some thing like that. You know you will use it next spring. If you consider buying it make sure to read the car fax.
  11. Logans4season

Logans4season Junior Member

Bought second truck

Thanks for your input. Settled on 07 silverado hd2500. 74000 miles. snow plow with wireless and downward features.