1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need second opinion

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by daplowman, Dec 3, 2006.

1. daplowman

daplowman Member

Okay here we go. I have a customer that is complaining about his bid. job takes approx 3/4 hr to do. plow and salt. Last year 150.00 thought that was on the low side bumped up to 180.00 "hence the complaining" what do you guys think would be fair. Also thinking about going seasonal with this guy average is 34.3" per year. Any help would be appreciated

IF YOU CANT READ THE TEXT IT SAYS
    140 X120' MULTIPLE OBSTRUCTIONS - STONE SURFACE

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Does salting the gravel surface do any good?

Is salt included in that price?

If so....how much do you use each application and whats your cost for the salt you apply?

If he's complaining about the price Id adjust the number back if its a deal breaker and you need the work.

150 seems fair for that job if you are going off a 125 an hour index and including salt.

To me anyhow.

3. daplowman

daplowman Member

Salting helps, I keep the blade raised a bit so I don't scrape up all his stones. So the salt help to compensate for that. Salting is included, use about 500 lbs roughly

4. LLM Ann Arbor

Well. ....are you using bagged product at maybe 4 dollars for a 50lb bag? Or bulk. Bulk goes for 60 a ton here. I dont know what your actual salt cost is but most guys times 2 the cost to apply it whatever that is, is my understanding.

Either way the guys getting a good fair price with either price 150 or 180. Bottom line is whether he will have you back at 180.

Comprimise it to 165 see what he says.

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Good price but

I just did a quick calc. and it's 16800 square feet @ 500 lbs of salt, thats 33lbs of salt per square foot cut back on the salt and increase your profit with the same price ($150.00).

6. LLM Ann Arbor

I was thinking 500 was a lot for that deal, but havent ever spread salt so I didnt do the math.

Whats a good rate per square foot for salt. Or better yet per thousand for an average amount of icing. Not light and not heavy ice.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I belive that 1lbs for every 100 square or 10x10, so he should be spreading about 160 to 170lbs for that account. Then he can keep the $150.00 price and make a bigger profit.

8. BobC

BobC Senior Member

With the time your spending, the increase in fuel prices and insurances and the cost of you salt I think 180 is very reasonable. $150 was low and he probably is balking at the percentage of increase(20%) do $165 this year(10%)

9. daplowman

daplowman Member

I think a came up with a win win

Contracted for this year and next and the 180 rate, at least i know i have him next year