1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by joe2025, Feb 11, 2014.

1. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

Just got a call from our bulk supplier and we were told that all deliveries were placed on hold pending further notice. I called back and was told to try calling back NEXT MONTH. I said "WHAT !!!! next month winter will be over." I was more or less told to bad it is what it is. Even though I had placed reservations for "x" amount of loads for the season I'm only half through with what I ordered for the season and they will not be delivering any more for the season. I have about 50 lbs (that's right 50 lbs. ) left on the stock pile.

Called everyone I can think of, called every hardware and supply store in the area and all I have is 1 pallet of 50 lb bags placed on hold for me. That's it, can't find any more.

If anyone in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area knows where I can find bulk salt or if anyone can help out and let me borrow or buy a hopper full I would really appreciate it. Right now just trying to cover our ass in case we get hit with the storm on Thursday. And to top it off I'm stuck in Phila. until tomorrow afternoon. (Wife had surgery and I can't leave until we see the doctor in the morning)

Next year I am going to double the size of my bulk pit. Like us in this area haven't had enough stress with this winter season already now we're going to have to deal with a rock salt shortage. Now the price gouging has started already. Friend of mine was buying bulk for $80.00 a scoop and now the guys is telling him that next time he comes (if he has any left) the price will be $ 110.00 scoop. Sounds like the end of the season is going to be fun.
    Thank you for listening to my bitching and here's hoping that I can find some someplace soon.
    Stay safe and may your bank account have a few bucks left at the end of the season.

2. lovemyboss

lovemyboss Junior Member

There are suppliers in Utah!

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I bet you were ordering from American Rock Salt?

Anyway goodluck finding salt, its all gone man

Very stressful past 2 weeks

4. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

What about water softener salt? Last time I was at lowes down here there was a few pallets.

5. greensweep

greensweep Junior Member

Fighting the same problem in ILLINOIS. I reserved 100 ton of clear lane salt from Cargill and they only delivered 25ton. I was told back in December that it would ship in 2 weeks. They would not return calls after that until a few days ago when they finally told me I would not be receiving the rest of my order. I find it disturbing that they want to hold me to 80% a my reservation on dry winters, but when it's a hard winter, they can say tough ****, you're not getting any. They are saving what they have for the STATE contracts that don't pay their bills. I will more than likely make reservations with more than one company this next season so I can keep my options open.

6. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

To top it all off, when I called to order I had to make a payment which I sent overnight. She tells me to please hold while she checks with the manager to see if they can ship out of the Scranton yard, tells me no problem and the "nice" lady knew that it was not going to happen so she lied to me just to make sure that they got their payment. She did a good job because had I known for sure I would not be getting a delivery they would not have gotten paid until next year some time. Going to be looking hard for a new supplier and yes American rock salt runs a very sneaky business in my opinion. Why not jut be honest about not having any supply just like the rest of the country. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who has to lie to do business. just my 2 cents.

7. greensweep

greensweep Junior Member

Is it too late to stop payment?

8. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Joe2025, you reserved twice what you have used already?

9. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

Finallygot1, Yes. I usually put in reservations for 4 loads for the season at 25 ton per delivery. You would think that they would have the business sense to secure what their customers are requesting for the season. I mean if they can't supply it then why even ask in advance for reservations. It's a good thing that some of my largest clients are understanding and knowledgeable enough to know that there is no salt to be found anywhere.

I guess on the bright side having my clients know that there is no salt I won't be getting any 4am phone calls to salt the lots. Plus it's getting a little warmer as the days go by so with a half hour of sunshine it's enough to "dry" out the lots and help prevent any overnight re-freeze as long as we can get it scraped down to the pavement. It still sucks trying to run an snow and Ice management company without any salt and the weather around here is relentless. Just spent the last 5 days out on the road so I've had about 12 hours sleep in the past 5 days so you can guess where I'm going right now before the next storm hits tomorrow night.

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I'm squeegeeing my lot into a nice rink as I type, hoping to get out of here in a few because what salt we have left is mixed with sand and at night it don't melt anything so it's a boring 5 more hours!!

11. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

No Salt in CT, the State took it all for them selves and left the towns and private plow companies screwed.

Same thing, we might have some available in March for release................Ok, that really helps everyone out now !

12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Out in Ohio.... I new it was coming, ordered 100 ton and a extra storage container... Spent all my cash on it.. Broke waiting on big money to come

13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

These salt companies who have contracts to provide a certain amount of salt to contractors (and fail to do so) need to be held liable for it. I'm not one to say sue someone at the drop of a hat, but this happens all the time without consequence. You can damn well bet they hold you to purchasing your allotment even if you didn't need it.

14. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree.. Don't some guys pre pay? How can they sell your salt if you pre pay for it?

15. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

I have pallets of bagged in Wilkes barre for sale $7 p bag. I have 4 pallets on hand and another 18 coming this week.
    570two3nine0219