1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need salt/sand alternative

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nymustang50, Sep 20, 2011.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

I need a solution for using something else besides salt/sand at this one parking lot. The lots about 50ft by 50ft and they are after 4 years of doing this one lot complaining of somehow the amount of sand I use is clogging the sewer drain they have in there lot. So by customers expense I'm trying to find an easy solution to using something else but I never did use anything else so I want something easy and that works..

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lot of stuff out there to use. Calcium chloride can be used. Won't cost that much more for that small area.

Try the link above.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I would recommend sodium chloride i'm pretty sure its readily available.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

x2. If you search hard enough you might find some.

5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Why not use liquid?? For me it cost 10 Cents a gallon! It hold up longer than salt and works just as well.

6. nymustang50

I was thinking liquid but I dont know anything about it how to apply where to get and such..

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO! Who'da thunk! :laughing:

4 years you say... :dizzy: And you've never heard of those little white things you put in your water softener... :dizzy:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. nymustang50

Water softener never heard of one never used one..

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Fixed it. :laughing:

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is there a logical reason to not use salt?:confused:

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmm, I think I might have to do some checking.

Everyone uses liquid to melt snow and ice.

I'd debate the latter 2 statements though.

He's from New Yawk?

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Which rock have you been living under??? :confused:

13. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Its deff. An investment But you can make a Small setup for about 200-400 Bucks. Very bsic though. For a 50x50' Lot you can gate a 300Gallon tote for about $50 bucks and plump it into a Gas operated pump maybe 3HP would be plenty. For about 100 bucks and A simple hose with a sprayer spigot. This way its cheap, All you have to do is jump out the truck (HARD I KNOW!) , Start the pump then just spray the lot fro the side of the truck. It will be Hard to gauge how much is right but for a small area like that it wouldnt be bad.....

It will be alot better than having sand in the drains! And there are many guys over there who use liquid i know a few sponsors on this site sell it and deliver over there.