1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Salt in NE Ohio

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaveOhio, Feb 16, 2003.

1. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

We need some salt to finish out the season. I am looking for 25 ton loads of salt in the Akron area. Our supplier cut us off for the year. I tried a company in Twinsburg and it's a maybe... Any suggestions?

2. snowflake

snowflake Member

if you cannt find any around by you i mite be able to help you out with some. i got 80# baggs mite be able to get a truck load shipped to you.

3. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Hey Thanks. Looking for Bulk but sure appreciate it.

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Abraxus Salt runs ads all the time on the radio and TWC - as they just built a salt dome. 5 tons or 500 tons today is what I think they advertise. Don't know the phone number or pricing - but I'm sure you can find them in the phone book.
  5. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Thanks, Lad. He'll deliver. A done deal.
  6. nulawndog

nulawndog Junior Member

Call Cleveland Charcoal 216-361-8020
  7. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

Lawn Lad,

Does Abraxus deliver to the Dayton area? Been having a heck of a time getting another load from Cargill. They keep telling me they have some in Toledo, but can't get me a delivery date.
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

no Salt

Well no salt here. I hear people are gouging @ $90 per ton for bulk salt. Whitestone is out accept for Govt users. Maple Heights is not taking on new customers. Again we get hit. My bin I thought was large enough to get me through but I was wrong.

Hope to find some salt soon.
  9. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

J&J - sorry for slow response, just saw your post. I don't know if Abraxus deliver's to Dayton, but I wouldn't put it past them to broker something. You'd have to call them to find out. Hope you're able to find some salt.
  10. KSP1

KSP1 Junior Member

You can try Arms Trucking or Kurtz Bros in Valley View. I spoke with Tim at Whitestone and he said they have a railway shipment due in on Sunday

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Salt needed in NE OHIO

Thanks Joe,
    I was told if the train came in on weekend trucking would start on weekend also. I hope this is true. Bigger salt bin is the answer.

12. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

No salt in NE OH for contractors

Was able to purchase salt at 40% higher rate than contracted for because all salt goes to the state, city, twp and county. On way to work 7 hrs before freezing rain was forcast to start, in a moderate rain shower I passed a ODOT truck salting the roads. On way home I passed salt truck on dry roads. There is no wonder why contractors have no salt. The govt wastes it!

By the way I didnt salt the concrete drive and it was dry when I got home. I can sleep better now that I know the states govts are protecting me so well.

13. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Was that ODOT truck in the rain possibly pretreating???????? Was the other truck throwing salt on dry roads??????? ED
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  14. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

State wasting salt

The truck was spreading salt on RT 77 north 7 hrs before the forcasted freezing temps were to arrive in a moderate rain shower. The salt was washed off road and was of no value for pretreating. The other truck was just setting in median. Dont know what he was doing.

There has been so much over salting on roads it is causing problems. We have 2 rigs that the spark plugs are incrusted in salt. The 2001 rig. under warranty had to have heads removed to take out sparkplugs. The 2000 will need the same.

The State is using way to much salt you can see it on roads days after the snow event is over this helps create the shortage to pvt contractors.

There has to be some middle ground here somewhere