1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Recommendation on New Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by F350_in_AK, Nov 10, 2004.

1. F350_in_AK

F350_in_AK Junior Member

I'm new to the site, but I sure am happy to see all the info I've found already. I have a new 2004 F350, Crew Cab with the 6.0 L Diesel and I'm dying to put a new plow on it.
    I've been to the Fisher and Western web sites and neither one will allow me to spec a plow for my truck. I will be plowing my driveway, which is about 750 ft of packed dirt/gravel (1/2 of which is a 10% slope) as well as a couple small parking lots for our church. The snow is getting pretty deep up here in Alaska and I really need to move fast on this, so can someone help me out with a recommendation as to what my options are?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hey man, welcome to the site!! The reason that Fisher and Western will not allow you to spec your truck out is because you have a Crew Cab with a diesel and that particular engine/cab combination does not allow you to hang a plow on there without voiding your factory warranty. With that said, EVERYBODY i know still does and has no problems, but if something happens to your truck they will almost definetely blame it on your snowplow. Ford says that the Weight of the 6 liter and the length and weight of the truck exceed being able to mount a plow. Anyways, i have an 04 Super Duty X cab with 6 foot bed and gas, and i have a WEstern 8 foot pro plow on there with the ultramount setup. If there is one plow that i could recommend that would be the plow! I really like that Western uses one pump for all of their plows. If you have a 7'6 or a 10' its the same pump, which leads me to believe that its a damn strong pump. love it. it is a sweet setup, takes like 1 minute to hook up all by yourself, and it is just build so well. If there is anything i can help you with just give me a holler. Good Luck

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

we have a western pro plow on ours no problem here
  4. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Hey F350 in AK. Welcome to the site! :waving: I've learned so much about plowing here. Yeah, the crew-cab bit is hanging you on those sites. Mine did the same thing because Chevy doesn't recommend putting a plow on specific model. I likely voided my "extended" warranty by putting the plow on mine.

Anyway, in Anchorage we have BOSS, Western, Blizzard, Fisher, and Snoway. The Western dealer sold a bunch of plows this season and may actually be out of stock til Jan. I know BOSS has good stock and last time I checked Blizzards were still up in stock (last month). Western actually told me last month that they were making sure they had enough plows for the shop install reservations. I would have had to settle for Western Standard Steel when I wanted Poly.

I think either one of the mentioned brands will do you right. You should be looking more at your needs and good service after the sale. :salute: Last thing you want is to be forgotten after the sale. I liked the BOSS dealer in Anchorage. They gave a me warm fuzzy regarding service.....and now they all eat in my restaurant!! :bluebounc
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I run a Blizzard 810 ( 950lbs. ) on a crew cab one ton dually gasser 8' bed A straight 8'6" weighs about 800 lbs. Get wide because of length of truck . Install it yourself or pay someone else. The diesel will have stronger torsion bars over the gas, putting them equal before the install. Use about 500 lbs ballast in bed and you will be fine. Dealer warranty will have to proove damage was caused by the plow.
    Hope this helps ya.