1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need recommendation for dodge 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newby plower, Oct 26, 2003.

1. newby plower

newby plower Junior Member

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram V-8 magnum SLT Laramie 5 speed Manual transmission.

1. Is this truck good to put a snow plow blade on it ?

2. What is a good inexspensive snow blade with hydraulic to put on it ?

3. What is a good used price. should I go new or used?

4. What is the standard rates square footage should I be charging residential and commercial?

Iam planning to do some residential drive ways and maybe a few parking lots this winter.

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite.That truck should do just fine plowing .I would put a 7.5' plow on it.The 5 spd manual might get a little tiring when out for a long amount of time.Look on ebay there is always alot of used plows for not alot of money.Try using the search feature because many of these topics have been discussed.
  3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

1 that truck should work fine for plowing you can run a 8 Ft or 7 1/2Ft without much trouble i run a boss 8' super duty on my 95 ram 1500

2 its hard to say what you can get for a good price in your area
    one thing to consider though if you get what you think is a good deal on a plow make sure the push bar and wiring harness that will fit your truck is included in the price. if you don't you can quickly turn a $1500 deal into a $2500 expensive.

3 a good used price would probably be under $2000 anything more than this and your better off spending the extra money and buy new. one advantage to buying new is you have a warranty and it hasn't been used and abused although you can find good used plows you just want to check them out thoroughly. getting a plow thats been poorly maintained could end up costing lots of $ in repairs and breakdown time. so if you do go looking at used plows i would suggest taking someone along that is knowledgeable about plows.

4 its hard to say on price for sq footage every are is different.

Good luck with whatever you do.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

That truck will do fine for plowing with the solid front axle..Add a set of Timbrens,and a good trans cooler (if not already equipped).

I'd go with an 8 footer.
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i would go with a 7.5ft or 8ft. Meyer and sno-way snowplows are plow that would work fine on your truck. your truck would make a great plowtruck besides the fact that its a manual transmission you may get sick of shifting after a few hours.:)
  6. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I'd find one from a closer dealer who is going to have parts and service availible as needed, rather than driving 3 hours to get a part. That would be my first priority.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would go bigger then a 7.5 meyers plow or a western there more forgiving,as for a fisher i would use a rd 7ft or 7.5 i would not buy a snowway i think there junk.I would never put a 8ft plow on a 1500 unless it was a 1500 with 2500 suspension witch chevy made a few 100 of :nod:
  8. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

First decide how much plowing your going to be doing, and then you will have a better idea of how much plow you will need.
  9. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

My 97 is a 1500 5.9 Auto and works very well for plowing. It handles the 7.5' Pro nicely with a set of 2500 springs installed in the front end. I don't really care for plowing with a manual trans as it becomes quite a workout on long nights. But to each his own I guess...

Good luck and have fun!!!