1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need rear end swap info

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jimfulco, May 1, 2003.

1. jimfulco

jimfulco Junior Member

I have a 79 Suburban C-10 with a trashed out 12-bolt rear end. I need to know if I can use a 1984 10-bolt in this truck while retaining my larger Suburban brakes and the same driveshaft.

2. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

just my personal opinon jim, i would stay away from the 10 bolt. I myself have trashed a couple of those when i had my 2WD 81, (I'm also 24 with a lead foot, though) If you can, try and find another 12 bolt, or even a 14. not sure that you can use the brakes from the 12 on the 10.....maybe wyldman knows....:(

3. kefergus

kefergus Junior Member

I have a 1984 K10, and trashed the rearend in it a couple years ago. It was a 12 bolt, which was not original, and I put a 10 bolt back under it, which was the original size for that 1/2 ton pickup. My brakes hooked back up just fine. But I too would stray from the 10 bolt if possible. I used it only because it was the only 3.08 ratio I could find.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,it will pretty much all bolt up no problem.The 10 bolt isn't all that weak,and should do fine as long as it's not abused.

5. jimfulco

jimfulco Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I already have the 10-bolt, & I doubt my stock 350 automatic will hurt it. Time to get dirty I guess.